Wounded karelinii

eldaldo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Patrick
It seems I am having all sorts of troubles today. I figured I would create another thread since this is an entirely different problem.

My smallest karelinii has been spending alot of time on land, and today I noticed that she has a chunk taken out of her tail. It probably happened yesterday at feeding time. I am planning on putting her in my spare 5.5 aquarium because I think she is being attacked and overall stressed by the other newts because she is so small. Does this sound like a good idea or should I do more?

well, I am not sure if what I did was the right thing, but since I separated her from her peers she has eaten like a pig and spends alot more time in the water. I am hoping her tail will heal in time. If anyone reads this and thinks I should do something more, let me know.

It sounds like this particular individual was not able to compete for food and likely suffered a good bit of oppression. Seperation is essential for the duration. Good job on establishing a seperate set-up.
I would watch for any signs of infection but you will likely be fine.

I think separation is sufficient. I've seen karelinii with all sorts of nasty chunks removed from their tails, and all of them healed on their own without complication. They are super-aggressive feeders, and will chomp down on anything that moves. If you feed her daily, she will probably catch up in size pretty soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back