Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm going to get hell for this....

gnomonlove18

Reaction score
I know that you guys are going to flip it but I need to know this. I have been doing alot of research and some may say too much about axolotls because when I start a hobbie I want to do it perfect, however I was reading a couple articles about them and how they are actually considered a delicacy in Mexico. They I guess are labeled under the species of ambystoma and considered an edible food source. Is this true? Do they actually eat these cute guys...? Forgive me for questioning a culture which I would never do but man they do not look tasty at all. heh.

Ed

Reaction score
Yes they have been eaten and in addition are also used for homeopathic remedies. (and there is a long history of eating caudates both in the new and old world (for example hellbenders in the US and Andrias in Asia).

Ed

MRIGUY

Reaction score
I have learned over the years that there are people out there that will eat almost anything. Personally, I am a vegeterian for good reason.

gnomonlove18

Reaction score
Very interesting ED. I am a sociologist and study different cultures dealing with zombification. Seeing you post about homeopathic reasons using the axolotl it seems there must be religion or a belief system backing this use. I know that some caudates produce a toxin similar to the puffer fish and that is often (in small doses) used to put a person in a trance like state rendering them mobile but extremely docile and almost zombie like. heh. any other info...pass it my way.

ianclick

Reaction score
Maybe thats why they are an extremely endangered species in their natural environment

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Which ever country you go to you will find something being eaten that perhaps we would not consider, but its really a case of what is available, for free to supliment or be a main part of someones diet..eating axolotl ( I have seen photo's of prepared axolotl) may be a family's only source of meat/food. I very much enjoy food and in general will try any thing ( still not tempted by eating live grubs however), and probably more so if I am starving. I personally am not tempted to consume iether of my axolotl..one of my sons (8 going on 80) did express some curiousity on perhaps raising some of the larvae to try!

Abrahm

Reaction score
Maybe thats why they are an extremely endangered species in their natural environment

As I understand it the axolotl is more endangered because of habitat destruction than any over-harvesting. Considering the axolotl is indigenous to only two lakes, and those lakes have been heavily modified by man as they are in the midst of Mexico city, it is in a rather tight spot.

Jake

Reaction score
They I guess are labeled under the species of ambystoma and considered an edible food source. Is this true? Do they actually eat these cute guys...? Forgive me for questioning a culture which I would never do but man they do not look tasty at all. heh.

I love axolotls, don't get me wrong, but they do look delicious! I can imagine they taste good with tartar sauce. I'm not saying that I'd eat one of my own, but I noticed they looked good to eat within 10 minutes or less of purchasing my first group of them. People by Xochimilco should set up axolotl farms to ranch them for food and to take the heat off of the true wild axolotls.

gnomonlove18

Reaction score
too funny. You guys crack me up. Well I guess the next step is to get a few of them...try different style cooking techniques and start a show on the food network called: "Caudata Grill: Cooking With Nick."
hahahaha

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's really no different than fish, other than the 'legs' thing.

It's not really overharvesting that is causing problems, but the lack of suitable habitat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!