Help for feeding on holiday

Sandra

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hello Everybody

I am new to all this and still finding my feet. Can anybody advise on how best to feed my firebellies whilst I am on holiday. The only type of live food I seem to be able to get my hands on are maggots and fruitflies. - any suggestions? I don't want to just throw in a bundle and hope for the best....

How old are the newts? how long have you had them? How long are you going to be gone?

I have only had them since April of this year, but I don't know what age they were at that time (they are about 3" long at the moment). I have five of them and will be gone for eight days

Thanks;)

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as they are well established and have been feeding well, they should be able to easily go that long without food provided they don't get too warm.

Ed

I agree. These are animals that can survive for months without food. 8 days is no problem. Do NOT take the risk of throwing in a bunch of food, or asking someone else to feed them: either of these can cause disaster.

I have personal experience with this. A long time ago when I was probably in middle school I had several N. viridescens and a Japanese firebelly. My family and I go on a two week vacation every year and the first year I had the Notos I gave my newts to a friend to watch while I was gone and when I got back three of the four Notos were dead. It may not have been his fault, but ever since then I just let them sit for two weeks and the remaining Noto and the Japanese firebelly lived a long happy life.

Ed and Jen are right, just so long as they are well fed and not too hot they will be fine.

Thanks, everybody - that's a big worry off my mind

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back