Spots

Frog

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 leucistic axolotls about 10 weeks old and was wondering when they get their spots, if they are going to get any ? Thank you for replys .

What do you mean by spots? Small iradescent patches or full on pied spots??

Leucistic means reduced pigment - generally with blue or black eyes.

I think what your refering to is a pied or piebald axolotl, these are very scarce and I for one would pay a lot of money for one.

If you look at your axolotls, and see a smattering or slightly dark patch (sorry can't think of a better descriptive word!) on your axolotls head region, then chances are they'll develop them in several months time. Otherwise they may only have a light smattering/bit round their eyes. Two of our leucs only have rings round their eyes. The other 3 leucistics burrow their heads in sand snuffling, so the majority of their dark colouring comes from sand (only realised after they'd been in the fridge and all the sandy bits came of as we did regular waterchanges, apart from the tiny dots round their eyes and tiny smattering of grey on their head.)

Yes freckles ?

That's what I'd like to know do all leucistic get them ? Not that it matters I love my babies but was wondering ...

Some don't apart from maybe a faint ring round the eyes or a few speckles, like all creatures, each one is individual as each other. Though to someone who doesn't keep them they can all look pretty the same. The two you see in the photo under my name - the darker one buries her mouth in the sand all the time, snuffling for food, the other has lighter speckly colouring on her face which is her usual colouring. Two others as I mentioned have only the rings round their eyes. I've also seen leucs that are very white with very very faint speckles (hardly noticeable). For this reason some people mistakenly assume they're albino axolotls.

Thanks alot

Guess it will be a wait and see thing ... But thanks for the info it was helpful .

Your axolotls are a bit young to tell. Most of my leucistics don't get their faint freckles until they've reached about 4" in lenght or longer. I don't have very many with freckles, but I have around 30 leucistics all over 5" long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back