Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Important All British/ex Pats

g_k

Reaction score
Hey

This is a petition to stop goldfish being given away as prizes. If everybody can sign this then maybe the prime minister will take notice.

Petition to: Ban the practice of giving fish as prizes.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure of the legal status...but they still can be seen at some fairs, there was even a photo of a girl triumphantly showing her prize in the local newspaper here.

g_k

Reaction score
It's still worth doing. No goldfish can still be given away as prizes. I was speaking to someone who's daughter got one as part of her party favours bag when she went to a friend's birthday party!

There are some weird petitions on there....like banning RnB music in public places lol.

Just realised the link didn't copy so here it is.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Fishprize/

CarlNJen

Reaction score
I totally agree with this petition,

Goldfish are just like every other animal and should only be kept by people who actually want them and have the correct equipment to provide an adequate home for them.
I think we would all be screaming for a petition if they were giving away newts instead!

Carl

lims

Reaction score
Do goldfish really turn into huge carp if they live long enough?
*petition great idea*

rigsby

Reaction score
Lims..goldfish can get pretty big but not huge, they originate from a variety of carp called crucian carp which is a true carp but a small type.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1