Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help - newt missing limb!?!

bluefeather5

Reaction score
I noticed that one of my newts had a strange fuzzyish beige spot on her yesterday and then realized it was because her arm was missing! It's sort of fuzzy/translucent...I don't know if that is the beginning stages of regrowth or an infection but I was worried so following an article on this site I have dabbed her wound with 1.5% hydrogen peroxide and then rinsed it and then put her in a dirt quarantine. I hope this isn't too dry for her as I don't know how long they can be away from water. One side of the dirt is damp but I don't know where to go from here.

Should I keep checking to make sure that one side is always damp enough and if so how often (once a day?) ...Also, I don't know how long to keep her in this quarantine...I think it can take 2-3 weeks to regenerate limbs and that seems too long to keep her in there... how soon can I return her to the other newts in the main tank?

Thank you

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They can stay out of water indefinitely, as long as they have moist soil. I would check that the soil is moist (at least on one side) every day. The newt should stay in quarantine until the leg is obviously healing (not necessarily for the whole time it takes to regenerate).

Here was a similar post recently:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50053

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1