Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Acidity/alcalinity

G

Guydyon

My tap water is quite acid (between 7, and 6.5). It is also very soft (GH 50 ppm, KH 20 ppm). I was trying to correct this and I added some salt I bought in the pet shop: "SERA mineral salt". 5g of salt per100 liters are suposed to increase 0.6ºdH. I suppose 0.6º correspond to roughly 10ppm, but about dH I'm kindda lost.
I was wondering if this is the best way to adjust it and how to use it. Or maybe I should use some sodium bicarbonate, or some other kind of avaliable salt (food salt I find around here is with added iod and sometimes fluor or then mineral salt, so that could be a problem).
I was also wondering how I should take care of the acidity problem: are these products I find in pet stores the best/only solution?

Or are such values not worth the trouble and they are well accepted by the axies?

I'm having some problem having the N cycle ander control, so I don't wan't to have problem with this too...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Adding a calcium carbonate source will buffer the water against drops on pH (that is, increase the alkalinity), and will somewhat bring up the pH. The most recommended around here is to use some bird grit or crushed seashells to your filter, or in a mesh bag in the tank.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pH 6.5-7 is not acidic. It is very close to neutral, so I would not recommend trying to change it. As Kaysie suggested, adding a small amount of limestone or shells (any kind of calcium carbonate) to the tank is a good way to gently buffer the pH.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1