Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

??melanoid or wild type??

myyumbrella

Reaction score
Hey Every one!
I have an axolotl but im not sure if it is a melanoid or a wild type. She is light in colour kind of creamy looking with brown spots, she has no yellow colouration on her and no shiny patches. Her eyes look pure black but when you go up closeyou can see a pupil and a ring around. Can any body please tell me what she is?! Thanks, Elisha :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you can post a photo of both a body closeup and a closeup of the eyes, that'll help.

If it has a gold ring around the eyes (or is gold in some lights), then its a wildtype.

myyumbrella

Reaction score
Thanks! Here is a picture of her:
Coty.JPG

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jay, that's not true. My melanoid is more steely-grey, and has blue eyes. I also have a jet-black female that's actually a wildtype.

philbaker76

Reaction score
Jay, that's not true. My melanoid is more steely-grey, and has blue eyes. I also have a jet-black female that's actually a wildtype.

Hi Kaysie, I have what I think are a pair of melanoid - they are jet black (no colour around the eyes) - very, very faint spots - on the under belly only (you wouldn't see these on a photo) ...would you say it is melanoid or wild type?

Sold to me as Melanoid and looks like the one on http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm; but no spots on the head.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd need a photo of the eyes and overall color to say for sure. But melanoids can vary. Albinos, light-grey, dark grey, 'purple', brownish, black. They come in lots of colors.

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
to post a photo, when you start a thread there is this area called Additional Options, and there is an area called "attach files" that is there area where you go to add your pictures you click on "manage attachments" and go to "upload from my computer" area at the top and bit browse. there you can browse for your file and add it. then you hit upload button. after you submit your thread/reply a picture should be there.

sounds like a wild-type to me, there is great variation within wildtypes, but a pictures can tell a lot more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1