T. gran - blister

A

alex3141

Hi all,

My T. gran Peter has developed a blister on his arm.
It looks like it is fluid filled and is getting larger.
Any suggestions what this may be caused by and possible treatment?

The tank checks out fine, water temps and quality are ok.

Any advice is much appreciated.

The earliest appointment I could get to see a vet is next Wednesday but I am not sure I should wait that long.

Alex

Attachments

• Peter1.jpg
    Peter1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 782
  • Peter2.jpg
    Peter2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 660
  • Peter3.jpg
    Peter3.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 640
  • Peter4.jpg
    Peter4.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 660
Another thing, as far as the bubble on his back, it appears he is about to shed.

Alex, is it still growing larger? Sometimes blisters rupture on their own. If it's still growing larger, I think it would be a good idea to lance it and apply some sort of antiseptic. After that, you'd need to keep the newt in super-clean water, or keep it out of the water until it heals.

May I use your photo on Caudata Culture?

Keith..i think you'll find the bubble on his back is actually just where his back is sticking out of the water. I have a newt which developed a similar lump and two years down the line he still has it but is otherwise fine. I would just keep an eye on it and as Jen says if it starts to get bigger ,lance it yourself or take it to the vets and keep him ultra-clean until it heals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back