October Reptile show Chicago (Tinley Park, IL)

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Just to let you guys know, i just got a flyer for the North American Reptile Breeder Confernece and Trade Show. It will be held in Tinley Park, IL October 13-14. 15.00 for both days, kids under 13-8 undder 5 free. Only reptiles and amphibians

If you read their vendor information, they are suposed to represent good quality captive bred specimens.

schedual of events:http://www.narbc.com/htm2006/tp_show_sched.htm

I never been there yet in all these years, especially living so close, so hopefully I will make it out this year. Its easy to get to, right off of I-80/Harlem Ave. at the Holiday Inn Convention center, its near the World Amphitheater, i forget what they re-named that, it's name changes every year to some corperation that buys it. It is not too far from Chicago Reptile in Orland Park, IL.

I've never heard of that one, I'll probably try to stop by if it isn't the same week as the Animal Hobbiest Expo.

I went there twice, the last one two years ago. It's a nice show, but there's almost exclusively snakes, turtles, and a few lizards. Of the times I went, there were 3-4 people selling dart frogs, and maybe half a dozen salamanders (animals, not vendors) in the whole place. It's a good show, but unless things have changed, don't be too hopeful amphibian-wise. I'd imagine there will be fewer amphibian vendors since then, as Midwest Frog Fest may have drawn more of these people away.

Still, looking through the vendors, I can recognize a few names. The Chicago Herp Society brought some really neat animals for display the two years I was there, including some rattlesnakes which are always worth seeing. I can also see a couple commercial sites that carry amphibians, though I don't know if they'll be bringing any or not. If they do, don't expect much for selection though.

Might not be worth my four hour drive, but those of you closer might find it worth seeing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back