plants for newt tank?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a thin layer of sand (1-2") for the substrate in my newt tank and I was wondering what kind of live plants I could put in there with him.

many temperate water plants can work, tropical temperature ones may not grow as well due to needing water 75+ and some need lots of light.

one plant i recommend you can put in the substrate is some of the Vallisneria plants. they look like tall grass and reproduce in the sand, plus any animal I had in some Vals like to hang out in them.There are so many plants you can use in your tank, even in low light and mid to cold range temperatures.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/
that page has a list of many popular aquatic plants and their light and temperature requirements. there are plenty other forums and pages dedicated to plants.

Rocks covered in aquatic mosses are also great decor. there is even a website dedicated to aquatic mosses. http://www.aquamoss.net/

I would second the suggestion for the vallisneria.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back