catherinepet1

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
catherinepet1
Hi all,
I am a new girl to all this.My two adult kids have just got me a couple of very fat and cute axolotis.
After splitting up with my ex my kids have got me these to give me something to do.
I fell in love at first site with my two new friends but dont know much about them,or how to look after them.
:Di have been on net trying to find out all,and came across this site.
I have been doing all so far wrong,as i am finding out.
Fact sheet my pet shop where kids got them,is all wrong so i now know.
I set them up in a large tank,but set up so as a gold fish,small gravel etc.
I have got rid of gravel now have large stones and hiding stops,ph is ok as i live in adelaide we tend to have hard water anyway.
I am doing a 20% water change weekly,feeding life and frozen food every second day,cleaning up mess daily.
I have a very large female white and a small not know sex black,i love these things and hope to have them for a very long time so any help or advice will be very well taken.
:pmy tank is 3 ft and is that ok for 2,also the pet shop where they came from has stated to only change 20% water with spring water on a weekly basis,is this correct as seems a dear option for me.
Water temp is between 15 and 20 is that ok for them.
Would love any help anyone can give me,as these two things are now what keeps me going in life.
Thanks all.
Catherine

A 3 foot tank is okay for 2, as long as you have enough hiding places.

20% water changes weekly with dechlorinated water is best. Do you know how your local water treatment plant 'sanitizes' its water? Spring water isn't necessary. You can buy drops that will dechlorinate your water.

15-20C is fine temps for axolotls. Try not to let them go much over 20C.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions!!

welcome to the community,im currently starting my axolotl family from eggs they are due to hatch any time, they are very intresting creature's arent they. :) If i can help on any future questions i will!

Ciaran

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back