Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

boy or girl ???

mudvayne42

Reaction score
i was just wondering if any one could tell me wether this is a boy or a girl or if u just think it is a boy or a girl even if you are not sure any answer would be welcome thanks :)

Attachments

• IMAG0262.JPG
    IMAG0262.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 386
  • IMAG0263.JPG
    IMAG0263.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0264.JPG
    IMAG0264.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG0265.JPG
    IMAG0265.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0266.JPG
    IMAG0266.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 282

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Your axie looks very young, it may be too early to say if its a boy or girl. How old/how long is it?

mudvayne42

Reaction score
about 8+ months now and has black nails and is 19.5 cm / 7.7 inches

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Righty ho..I'm going with its a girl..and the black toes suggests to me its mature , however I'm not competely sure as size wise its still quite little. I take it you measured roughly from tip of nose to tip of tail?

stephen

Reaction score
I think it might be a boy because your looks like it has a small bump and my girl has no bump at all

mudvayne42

Reaction score
so sounds like a boy then cant be sure though but the majority say boy so im going with that thanks everyone :D

Blue Dragonfly

Reaction score
I would say a boy, but the photos don't show much. If you put a girl in their you will soon find out. The testes swell and go pink. Like these pics of Sokar (Now deceased) Getting a bit frisky with Scarlett.

081-1.jpg

139.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, that picture looks more like a swollen cloaca due to impaction due to gravel ingestion (which is probably what lead to the death of this individual).

Axolotls drop spermatophores, which are small sperm packets ontop of a jelly stalk. Females then pick these up with their cloaca. They don't have external reproductive organs.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that one was female, while my female was laying eggs her cloaca somewhat resembled your photo. My males bits and bobs have stayed always stayed internal ( unless he's shy!!)

Blue Dragonfly

Reaction score
That would explain why i found an egg in there afterwards. lol. the dude at the aquarium told me sokar was a boy though. lol. i thought scarlett had left it.

Also it was never there until i put the other one in and it happened pretty much instantly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1