Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

is this tank ok?

mudvayne42

Reaction score
i was wondering if this tank is ok for one axie or do i need some more hidey holes?

Attachments

• IMAG0267.JPG
    IMAG0267.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0268.JPG
    IMAG0268.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0269.JPG
    IMAG0269.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 184

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
My only question would be about the rock pile ( it does look nice) , axolotl can be messy little beasties and the 'mess' would become trapped amongst the rocks . I have two big stones in my tank ( 3ft) plus 2 pots of plants and 2 hide aways. When I do the partial water change I always move these as the debris is trapped amongst them.

kclinton

Reaction score
I think it looks fine. They might like some more live plants to climb on. The plant will help with keeping the water nice.

Kudos

Reaction score
cool tank

Thats a nice setup. How long is the tank?
Take note: when putting plants in the tank its a good idea to put rocks around the base of them so the axies can't pull them up. Well thats what i've found out anyway....yeah more plants are better...:eek:

mudvayne42

Reaction score
3 foot long and a foot and a half wide and a foot and a half high :) this is ok right and i will take all your comments i have moved the rock pile so it cant fall over or anything and i am keeping an eye on deberis and soon will be getting more plants :)

kclinton

Reaction score
I think that size is fine might be able to fit one more if you want.

kristenpurple

Reaction score
Hi
yeah it looks good! but make sure the axy cant scratch or take a chunk out of himself on anything in there. because its easy for them to hurt themselves.

Amiracle

Reaction score
I also think perhaps you should lower the water level a little so that he can swim up to take a gulp of air every once in a while if he wants. They also like to float along the top (in my experience). Also, careful with sharp edges, as if they go a bit hypo they can easily hurt themselves

Saspotato

Reaction score
Hmm I don't think it matters about the water level being near the top... More water means that waste builds up slower. Also I can't imagine an axolotl having trouble reaching the top of a tank of that size. Mine doesn't and my tank is of a similar height.

Also floating on the top is not usually a good sign if it is for more than a few days, so if your axolotls are doing that, it might point to a problem with your tank.

kapo

Reaction score
There's no need to lower the water for axolotls to swim to gulp. They have no problem doing so when they need to. An airstone can be added to the tank if needbe.

Axolotls do float in hangout modes but excessive floating, especially during the summer months (if you don't have a cooler system on your axie tank - as most don't) can mean it is stressed and there is a temperature/water quality problem. Heat and Waste will build up in lowered water (or a small tank) faster than in a fully filled or 3/4 filled tank, in particular, if waterchanges are irregular (fortnightly). The warmer the tankwater the less oxygen there is.

Amiracle

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I do have a very expensive chiller system that keeps the temp at about 16 deg and the water parameters are fine, as are my axies. They just enjoy chilling out at the top of the tank once in a while. I think maybe my guys are lazy, but I found when my water was higher they'd attempt to swim up then get bored and float back down again. I also find it easier to keep the water level low as it's easier to cool, and because axies hang out at the bottom they don't use the water column as much as other aquatic animals. What works for some doesn't work for others I guess. It was just a suggestion.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1