Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Voltage Gated Sodium Channels

richierich

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand how exactly the tetrodotoxin interacts with the sodium channels. I understand that they bond to a peptide chain and replace the sodium for a couple seconds. I tried to understand what wikipedia was telling me but it was way to wordy and hard to understand. I used this site and it was a lot more helpful, but i was wondering if someone could put it in laymans terms.

http://courses.washington.edu/conj/membrane/nachan.htm

thanks, Rich

Abrahm

Reaction score
Very simply what tetrodotoxin does is bind to a specific site on a peptide that caused the toxin molecule to block the channel (making it sterically* impossible for the ions to enter or possibly causing a conformational** change) that is used to pump sodium.

*Because of size or electric charge
**A change to the channel like tetrodotoxin binding can often cause the protein to take a different shape which may cause the protein to not work as it is supposed to.

richierich

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Abrahm. That is what I gleaned from the website, but i was unsure if my assumptions were correct.

Abrahm

Reaction score
It's pretty interesting stuff. I'm glad you brought it up so I could take a look at it. Very interesting that tetrodotoxin does not effect cardiac muscle but instead causes death by paralyzing the diaphragm. I love biochemistry and I really wish I could take more classes in it. Pharmacology and toxicology would be especially fun ones.

richierich

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Biochem too. I had no reason to even look up the molecule of TTX but I just did because I wanted to. I also wonder why the cardiac tissue is not paralyzed and the diapragm is. When I go to university next year, I would like to find room in my schedule for some kind of toxicology class. Are you going to university for chemistry or a different branch of biochem? Does this mean that Taricha has developed an immunity to its own toxin by altering its sodium channels like the pufferfish?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1