Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thinking of getting a newt, need advice.

M

MCMXIV

As the title suggests, i am thinking of getting a newt, and need some advice, such as how large should the tank be? I suppose i need general figures in both gallons, litres and centimetres, since i might end up buying it from an american or british site and need to know whether i have room for it. I am thinking of breeding daphnia to feed the newt, since it seems more pleasnt than the worm option and not particularly difficult [as for actually getting daphnia, i dont know. can they be found in bogs or rivers or just ponds and lakes?]. Are newts expensive? and lastly, how large a tank should the daphnia have?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Well, the first question is what sort of newt would you like? There are many different kinds available and there are also a variety of salamanders (terrestrial newts) that you could keep also. Most of the newts could be kept singly in a minimum of 10 gallon/40 liter aquariums but without knowledge of what newt you are interested in this may be too small. Look through the species accounts in my signature below to find care sheets and additional information on a variety of newts and salamanders. Most newts are Salamandridae by the way.

Also, I fear that daphnia may be too small for most full grown newts to consider eating. It is most commonly used as food for larvae. It may be possible to feed smaller animals on them, but other options include black worms, frozen blood worms and other foods discussed in this article.

M

MCMXIV

Having had a look through those species accounts, Lissotriton boscai [Bosca’s newt] seems like the one for me, can eat daphnia, not picky about when fed, small and aquatic, and fine with low temperatures.

g_k

Reaction score
spanish ribbed newts are great. my monster is really friendly :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1