Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! What is this?

bichera37

Reaction score
Hi...I wondering is anyone know what is this?:sad:

here you can see from the side of it's tail, is like a pimple?:confused:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since there are several of them, I would guess it's some kind of parasite. Note that this is just a guess, I'm no expert on medical issues. How long have you had the sal? And how long has it had these lumps? What kind of setup is the sal kept in?

bichera37

Reaction score
hi Jennewt

I just bought on wednesday and from a bait shop, I know wasn't a good idea..but I like them:D, actually I have two more in a aquaterrarium, they are fine, I got them in april, but I put this new guys in a 20 gallons tank to check them up for a couple of days and I had found this problem in four of five of them but for sure the one left have it too.:(

keithp

Reaction score
They sell salamanders as bait? I never knew that. They were probably kept in poor condition so parasites are a possibility.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, the poor conditions at the bait shop probably contributed.

In general, it's recommended to keep tiger sals in a terrarium setup. Keeping them in a semi-aquatic setup without soil may keep them alive, but it's not really a natural way for them to live in the long-term. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

bichera37

Reaction score
Yeap...

They were in a big pool, I can tell you they are in a good conditions there, meaning clean and fresh cold water, and for the size well fed...but the man at the shop didn't know anything about them except use them for bait...poor guys if I could I'll bring them all with me...but my husband would sell me with them later...some of them in a larval stage were huge I think they're neotenic...I can't believe they are use as bait :eek:, is like hook a turtle or a frog...and in some states they are almost extinct.:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1