Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Throwing up

hamplanet

Reaction score
I understand that gasping or yawning is normal behaviour for an axie. But is wretching? Every so often (I've only seen him do it 3 or 4 times in the year i've had him), my axie Steve rears up onto his back legs, gasps repetitivley for a minute or so and vomits little bits of food which float all over the place and mess up his tank. The first time i saw him do it i was worried, but he doesn't seem to get stressed out and he just seems to deal with it. I thought he might be blocked up inside, but he eats very well and poo's quite often. Although there is quite often gravel in his poo from when he lived at the pet shop. Has anyone else ever seen this behaviour? Is this normal?

kclinton

Reaction score
Mine did that a couple of times I just feed him to much. It couls take up to a year for himm to pass all the gravel. have you tested the water?

hamplanet

Reaction score
His water perameters seem to be fine. Fully cycled tank, 20% water change once a week. The temperature is between 21-23 deg. Its been pretty warm here recently so i've had a fan blowing over the top to keep the temp down. Without the fan the highest i've seen was 24deg (I haven't let that happen since). But i moniter it all the time. Steve is a bit on the portly side so over the last couple of months i have been feeding him a little less. Every 4-5 days. Chicken liver, beef heart, tetra turtle pellets, earth worms, shrimp. I do try to vary his diet. He does seem to be hungry all the time though, snapping at anything & everything, but this is just the nature of lottles though isn't it?

The first time i saw him do it was after he had been eating live river shrimp for a couple of weeks and he sicked up lots of bits of shell and stuff.

kclinton

Reaction score
Yeah they like to snap at thing. I'am not shure on this i think they will just keep eating even if they are full. is it the same thing he keeps throwing up? The food might be to rich for him. Mine did it only on raw shrimp.

hamplanet

Reaction score
Each time he's done it its been different food. He was sick today even though i last fed him on wed night. I filmed him doing it but unfortunatly its too dark to make out properly. He seems to be happy enough though. He's doing a bit of floating now that i've turned the TV off! He'll watch anything!

Neurus

Reaction score
Hi i heard that when an axolotl eats a fish they will regurgitate any bones a few days later, this is probably a similar process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1