Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

housing FBN with shrimp

blackasher1

Reaction score
Heya
I have a 10 gallon tank- the water level is pretty high (id say around 3/4s?),so i'd say there is probably around 7 (?) gallons of actual water. I have 2 smallish firebelly newts, probably around 2 inches each- if that. There seems to be a lot of room in the tank and I was wondering if it would be ok to house 2 cherry shrimp with them. I've read that it's ok to house them with shrimp in the FAQ, but I was just wondering if my aquarium capacity is enough. The shrimp are relatively small, around 1/2 inch. Does anyone think I should try to forget the idea, or had any experiences housing similar animals?

many thanks

MRIGUY

Reaction score
As a general rule multi-species tanks can be done but they are best done in tanks with plenty of room. I keep 7 T. granulosas in a 58g tank with whitecloud minnows. The tank is 3/4 full of water and the white clouds, though prolific breeders, are kept in check. While I believe I could do the same tank with a 30g I would hessitate to go below that. A 10g is possible but it is not practical. I have a friend who I lecture with a lot and his tag line is "just because you CAN haul maneur in a corvette doesn't mean you should" So while you could probably do it, it might not be the best thing for your creatures.

The smaller water volume is also less forgiving of husbandry issues and the close proximity will likely cause stress in the newts.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure the relative size of your newt to the shrimp, but if the shrimp are only 1/2" in size it's entirely possible that the shrimp will become newt food.

lims

Reaction score
Go for it

I recomend you put one in first, observe the behaviour of both newt and shrimp.
Chances are, the shrimp will be hidden most of the time anyway, you might only see him if you turn the tank on at night, or he might venture out on occasion if there is food. They can't hurt the newt in any way as far as I know, and they're too fast and big to be caught by C orientalis anyway

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1