Help!!

escapar

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I have two axolotls and other one is acting straingtly. it goes to take air many times in day and im sure that there is enought air. And they all allmoust everytime in a same spot, they dont move so much than they should. Does anybody know what this means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some axies will go up for oxygen, but you should rule out any other possibilities!

* What is the temperature of their tank and how long has s/he been behaving like this?
* Have you had them long? If not, how long have you had them and did you cycle your tank before adding your axolotls?
* Have you tested their tankwater for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If you don't have freshwater test kits, preferably the test tube kind, to test your tankwater, you'll need to get a petshop/aquarium to test the water for these and give you the figures for each.

Axolotls when they mature do tend to move around less and may favour particular spots, they are also nocturnal creatures, so if anything they may be more active at night or when they get fed, and/or when there is possibly a water quality/temperature problem.

About 2 weeks i be having them, i did cycle tank befor i put them there. Temperature is 22-24 now, they have act like this about one week. i havent yet test at ammonia,nitrite or nitrate.

Hi there,
You need to try to cool the tank down to approx.20 degrees as it is currently too warm.
You will also need to test the water , if you don't have th tests, put some of the tank water into a clean vessel and take it to be tested at a pet shop. It is very important to keep a check of the tests so you can monitor the water quality..if it is poor it can be dangerous for your axolotl.

I went to petshop test it, they say that water looks fine and everything is OK. Now i have to by a cooler but i havent seen those anywere yet.

If you haven't tested for ammonia and nitrite, chances are you didn't properly cycle your tank. Articles on cycling and basic water quality: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml

You're starting to come to the 'critical point' in cycling. Your animals could be poisoned by their own waste. How often do you change the water? An appropriately sized, cycled tank needs about 20% of the water changed once a week. A non-cycled tank should have about 20% changed 2-3 times a week. A pet-shop answer of 'fine' isn't adequate. It's important to know the actual numbers of ammonia and nitrite levels especially. These are the most toxic. Any number above 0 isn't safe.

How big is your tank?

I change once a week. My tank is 200L . i get the actual numbers and they are fine

I ended up using a fan ( from Lakeland Plastics) This clipped on to the window ledge beside the tank...just make sure that there is no chance it can come into contact with the water. When it was hotter here I kept the windows shut and covered and this genearlly brought the temp down. I looked into getting an aquarium cooler but it costs too much, the fan this year worked really well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back