GBR Press: Newts neuter poultry plan

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
OXFORD MAIL (UK) 18 September 07 Newts neuter poultry plan (David Horne)
A man who wants to rear chickens is having his planning application held up by a colony of Great Crested Newts.
The amphibians are a rare, protected species and have to be taken into account when someone wants to build something near where they live.
But smallholder Robert Power says their habitat in a pond across the busy B4022 road in west Oxfordshire between Witney and Charlbury is in no way threatened by his plans for a chicken shed at Heath House Nursery in Finstock.
"It is laughable," he said. "I have had to withdraw my application till I get a Great Crested Newt certificate.
"All I want to do is keep some chickens.
"But, if you live within 500 metres of these little things, you have to get a special licence.
"The world's going mad.
"I could understand it if you want to build a road or a housing estate. But this is excessive zeal. And, anyway, they are not that rare round here."
The 60ft by 15ft pond is on the land of neighbouring farmer Kevin Hall and he agrees with Mr Power.
He said: "From what I'm told there's Great Crested Newts all over Finstock and Ramsden.
"Thames Water people come up here every so often to see how they're getting on. They catch a dozen or so, put them back in, make a few notes, and then come back again six months later.
"It's all a lot of fuss, so far as I can see."
West Oxfordshire District Council has to consult with Natural England, formerly English Nature, the Government body that protects wildlife and biodiversity, before it can adjudicate.
Mr Power, whose business at the moment is growing and selling plants but who wants to rear chickens for sale, has withdrawn his application to apply for a special certificate from them.
Even if he gets it, however, he faces objections from neighbours about smell and noise, and a new building being constructed in the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

http://www.oxfordmail.net/display.var.1697415.0.newts_neuter_poulty_plan.php

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back