PDA

View Full Version : Help Rock Stuck in Belly

Alan Anderson
18th September 2007, 23:48
I have an Axolotyl with a rock stuck in his belly, he is starting to stress & his tail is curled. I am really worried about him. How do i get it out?????

Jennewt
19th September 2007, 01:03
"Prevention" is the only way to avoid this. Once the rock is in there, I don't even think a vet could get it out. If it's small enough, it'll pass through.

herpvet
19th September 2007, 08:03
"Prevention" is the only way to avoid this. Once the rock is in there, I don't even think a vet could get it out. If it's small enough, it'll pass through.

Hi,

I should add that there are theoretical veterinary options if convinced the rock is stuck. Laxatives may be tried initially, and ultimately surgery is possible (although I can't say I've ever carried out an enterotomy in an axolotl!). But I would take advice on management from the more experienced keepers here before going down that route.

kapo
19th September 2007, 08:10
Hi Alan

What size is the rock? It may pass, as Jennewt says, just dependant on size of the rock and may take longer than you think if it can be passed. Ours took 18months to excrete the gravel and pebbles from their belly. If you do have gravel type substrate I suggest removing it from your tank so the same thing doesn't happen again.