Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first FBN tank

Blackstar65

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my first FBN tank and a few pics of four of the six home owners. The tank is a 20g long filtered by a Zoo Med 501. I have planted one Java Fern, one molly wart and six Acorus Calamus. Anybody have any suggestion on additions or subtactions.

ravenous

Reaction score
:lol: That certainly looks.... whats the word..... inspired?

tomthlee

Reaction score
Very nice tank. The newts look very happy. Just wondering - is there a land area for them to haul out on? Also, the java fern does best when its roots aren't covered with substrate. It does best in tanks when it is tied to rock or drift wood with fishing line. Very hardy plant, though. Grows slow but steady.

Again very nice work.

Blackstar65

Reaction score
:lol: That certainly looks.... whats the word..... inspired?

Yeah I had intially completely copied your set up until I read about submersible filters raising water temps. So I turned the intake hole into a cave. I a fit of poor planning I cut out the feeding tray which I now regret but I plan on using the glass jar technique to feed them instead.

Tomthlee
Their is a silght ledge at the top of the tank that they are crawling out on. I have a mini turtle dock on order. Thanks for the tip on the Java fern. Anybody have any suggestion on other plants to use specfically grass types?

ravenous

Reaction score
Well Im flattered

Did you use styrofoam too or is it all great stuff? I was going to use a 501 but Im waiting down the line for that. Do you have any clear shots of how youhave the 501?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1