What Type are my Axies?

Blue Dragonfly

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Blue Dragonfly
Well i have just been reading some people explaining their types of axies, and i never knew there was any difference besides the colour. lol.:wacko: Now i am really interested to know what mine are (and were). Could you have a look at the pics and tell me? Also, what are the rarer types that are harder to come by?

Yes i realise that this guy is quite skinny. He was sick ever since we got him. I dont buy axies from the pet store any more. i go to an aquarium now. Their axies are cute and chubby. lol.

ANUBIS - (deceased)

134.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

002.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

What Type am I?

Last edited:
Wild ,golden albino and a lite color wild type. If they are still on the gravel you need to change it, that couls be the reason you lost some.

Yeah, thanks someone else just told me the same thing. I am gonna get rid of it straight away and get some bigger ones. how big do you think they should be?

I would get sand not gravel. You can get play sand the kind used in kids sand boxes. Or pool filter sand .

You could also have a bare bottom tank.

If you're currently using an undergravel filter, these are basically useless anyway. Any hang on (waterfall), canister, or internal filter is fine, as long as you control the flow of the water.

I use a fluval 2 plus internal filter you can change the flow. My first one was a water fall filter it worked also but I like the fluval a little better . What size is your tank?

50L. Do you have any links to the type of filters that would be the best, so i can see what they are like and find something similar?

Also, which is better, charcoal filters or those pad thingys? how often do you have to change them?

Wait, how many axolotls were you keeping in that tank? A 50 liter tank will only hold one or 2 comfortably.

All filters should have 3 basic functions: Mechanical Filtration (that actually remove debris from the water), Biological filtration (conversion of ammonia and nitrites into less toxic compounds), and (sometimes) chemical filtration, the removal of bad chemicals. Carbon is what does this in most tanks.

Hi Blue Dragonfly,

Anubis Dark Coloured wild type, Sokar Golden Albino, Scarlet Melanoid ( could be dark coloured wild type but the blue eyes are normally a melanoid trait, and Olive Light coloured wild type.

Looking at your photos I am worried about the size of your substrate the gravel size is ideal for axies to swallow and cause impactions which can lead to daeth and definately will stress your axies. I know you have had this pointed out to you but one reads so many threads that deal with impaction.

Pool filter sand or playsand not marine aquarium sand but having said that I have no substrate in any of my three tanks and no hassles plus its way easier to clean. If you want sand Pool filter sand comes in interesting colours.

The rarest are Harlequins and the other colouring that I havent mentioned are leucistics.

Good Luck

thanks, yeah, i have taken out all the gravel and gotten a different filter. for new pics of the tank set up go to my entry in the sick axie part. Thanks for letting me know what types they are, but scarlett doesn't have blue eyes. they are brown.

Cool

There is less stress to be had with sand for axies and owners I will have a look at your setup.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back