OH Press: West G's amphibious campaign

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
NEWS-HERALD (Cleveland, Ohio) 24 September 07 West G's amphibious campaign (Jennifer McKevitt)
West Geauga Middle School's Wetlands Education Team is crazy about salamanders.
The team, comprised of seventh-graders Isabella Todaro and Kelli Wright, along with eighth-graders Shawn Cooper, Zak Kucera and Clay McMullen, have been hard at work, trying to establish the spotted salamander as the state's first official amphibian.
"The spotted salamander is present in all of Ohio's 88 counties," Clay said. "It's also an indicator species, which means that its presence alerts people to whether the area around it is healthy for other species."
The group has been successful so far in gaining the attention of local and state politicians.
State Sen. Tim Grendell, R-Chester Township, is set to introduce a bill Oct. 2 to give the spotted salamander the title of state amphibian.
"In a few weeks, the students will travel to Columbus to testify before a Senate committee on the issue," said Irene McMullen, the group's adviser. "The school district has already set aside funds to transport all five members of the group."
Clay is aware of the value of political attention.
"I am really grateful for Senator Grendell's support," he said. "We've been very fortunate."
Grendell said he was very impressed by the West Geauga youths' work, and he's happy to introduce the bill on their behalf.
"It's really appropriate to have the spotted salamander as our state amphibian, because where you find the spotted salamander, you find higher-quality wetlands," he said.
Members of WET were recently recognized for their stewardship of public lands by receiving the national Take Pride in America Award. They also had the opportunity to speak about environmental issues with Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne.
The group proudly represented West Geauga Middle School as the only school in the country to win this award.
In June, they received the Christopher Columbus Award gold medal, from a national science competition that challenges middle school students.
Clay and Isabella started the group more than two years ago.
"I was in fifth grade when we had the idea," Isabella said. "Everyone's been really great to us. We've received a lot of support, which has enabled us to further our wetlands work."
Isabella is particularly fond of the creature in question.
"The spotted salamander is really cute," she said. "I think it's important for people to be able to see this common amphibian and know how important it is.
"Also, kids in the fourth grade learn about state symbols, and if we're able to get the spotted salamander made the state amphibian, it would help instill a sense of environmental awareness in younger students."
Clay agreed.
"If people learn more about the spotted salamander, then they'll know that they should allow the puddles in their yards to thrive," he said. "Puddles are actually vernal pools, and are vital to the ecosystem."
West Geauga Middle School Principal Jim Kish is impressed by the students' efforts.
"These five outstanding young people continue to exceed our expectations and excel with all that they do. Naming the state amphibian extends the mission of this group," Kish said.
McMullen, a parent volunteer, is thrilled with the students' diligence on the subject of environmental awareness.
"These kids have really taken the lead," McMullen said. "I'm pleased at how much they've learned. They've shown a willingness to speak with people, and they've put in a lot of work. I'm very proud of them."

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18846728&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21849&rfi=15

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back