best substrate?

wreckgar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was wondering iof someone could help me regarding substrate. I don't want to use pebbles, sand seems like a pain because some of it will probably get syphoned out. Is it possible to use something like bark, or soil? I also hear that it is possible not to have substrate at all, but i'd be concerned about the axie not being able to grip the floor of the tank (it's glass)

My first thought was bark chips, but iI thought they'd move around a lot, being lightweight and might even float!

What about something rubber-based that i could stick to the floor of the aquarium in one piece? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks very much!

I have always used sand apart from when I first started out when i used polished river pebbles where lots of waste and detritus gets trapped.
Yes you do get some losses of sand but I always have a supply of fresh sand to replace the minimal losses.

Sand substrates go gand in hand with the turkey baster.

On my next tank setup im going to use large peices of slate siliconed to the tank bottom, that way it will be even easier to clean (i may have a sandy area for plants ect).

Hope this has been of some help.

Russ

Hi there, my preference is no substrate. I do have plenty of pond weed - they spend most of their time hanging around in that. I wouldn't say they need to "grip" on anything mate :)

I would not be inclined to use that as I would hazard to guess that chemical leakage could be an issue.

You could use aquarium silicone to attach a thin layer of sand..I was aiming to do it myself but the tank had to be used in an emergency.

That seems like the best option. Sorry for all the questions, but is it possible to get black sand that is safe?

Thanks!
You could use aquarium silicone to attach a thin layer of sand..I was aiming to do it myself but the tank had to be used in an emergency.

I'm in surrey, but it's fine, at least I know it exists now :) normally my LFS is good about getting stuff in they normally don't stock :)

Hi wreckgar,

I have three tanks and have tried pebbles and sand. I now have have no substrate.

I find that this is the best option. I have had no troubles with my axies not being able to grip and the cleaning is a breeze.

Hi
I use river bed sand for mine, love the natural look :lick:

I have recently changed Mando's substrate from sand to slate. My husband got three pieces of really nice slate from his mother's farm and cut them to size. Two sit flat on the tank floor and the other is leant up against the wall to create a little cave, which Mando loves. Cleaning is so much easier now. They are not stuck to the bottom so food and poop do get under but every second day I lift the tiles and clean under them. Every morning I do the top surface with the turkey baster. Mando seems happy and I'm happy because it looks nicer. You do need a big heavy cutting thing though (can't remember what it is) to cut them to the right size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back