Strange behavoir...

Peter

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi people,

I put my axo's in there new tank yesterday and everything is going well. But I saw that they swim to the surface ervery now and then and then dive straight back down to the bottem. And they flap/wave there gills every few seconds against there body. Is this very normal or is there somthing wrong with them?

Greetz
Peter

My Jeffery ( an axolotl) started doing this a few days ago, so I did my water checks for ammonia nitrite and ph and these are fine. I am wondering if its because my water temps are dropping and that he is just enjoying the swim. I think the flapping gills is him moving the water through them. Get the water chemistry tested to eliminate any thing harmful. If he was moved into an uncycled tank this could explain the difference in behaviour, if that is the case 20% water changes should be done daily till the nitrite levels reach zero... ow off to do Jefferies weekly 20 % water change.

Oh.

My axolotl does the gill flapping and swimming to the surface to get air and back down after he has eaten. Usually for an hour or so after eating. But occasionally at other times too. I thought it was normal behaviour? Or isn't it?

He seems fine and happy so maybe there is nothing to worry about?

(ph 7, ammonia et al. 0, temp 15C-17C, tank is cycled and 20% water change weekly before anyone asks :))

Last edited:
Axolotls, despite having gills, still have rudimentary lungs. Some axolotls never use them, but more often it happens that axolotls will go to the surface and gulp water.

They also flap their gills because axolotls are inherently lazy. Instead of swimming to a place with fresh water, they just move their gills to move fresh water past them.

I did the water check, these are the results:
NO3- 0 mg/l
NO2- 0 mg/l
GH- 10>16 dH
KH- 10 dH
pH- 8

And my watertemp is 23C, so I have to work on that one. Is the water chemestry ok?:confused:

Greetz
Peter

Hi Peter,

As Kaysie has said axies have both lungs and gills. Like all animals with gills they require water movement past the gills to breathe. Hence the flapping.

Secondly axies tend to gulp air periodically. This may be a throw back bearing in mind that they are stuck mid morph permanently. Mine gulp air to help them with floatation its quite normal so don't worry.

When I have introduced them to a new habitat thiere activity has at first diminished followed by heighten activity as they check out thier new environment.

Water levels sound ok ph could be 7 but 8 shouldnt cause any drama and your water temp is heading towards the top end of 25 but again is inside the safe parameters.
Good Luck

Okee thanks! I think I am going to fix a computer ventilater on the top of my tank to cool the water down. And about the pH, how can I get that down a little? I heard something like putting desterillised(if I spell it right)water in the tank or something?

Greetz
Peter

Peter pH of 8.0 is fine as long as your ammonia levels are 0. Once your ammonia levels start rising then the ammonia in the tank can become more toxic with that pH level.

Okee thanx voor the info ;-)

Greetz
Peter

I think maybe dechlorinated water. As Kapo said the ammonia content is the issue. We have water stabiliser/dechlorinator additive at our pet stores which we add to any water being introduced to the tank but this is to remove chlorine from the tap water.

If you are really concerned try 20-30% partial water changes every couple of days this will keep the ammonia levels down and providing your water is not Hard it should soften it as well.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back