Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie not eating

Cinderella

Reaction score
Hi,

My bubby Dobby isn't goin so well, he hasn't eaten for a few days and he just kinda sits around, im gonna stick him in the fridge today, what should do while he is in there?

Im am gonna try and find some other food for him, get a new filter a hiding place and some plants, we should be gettin a 4ft tank soon so i might get him a friend when thats all set up, but only if he gets better!

Hope he will be ok!

digger

Reaction score
hi,
a few questions answered might get the help you need better ok?
how old is your axie? length gives a good idea if you are not sure.
have you checked your water parameters? ammonia-nitrite-nitrate-ph, if so please post results,if not you should do it or get fish shop to do it and get them to write it down for you.
please do not buy anything they recommend if they are wrong, come back here and post results and you will be given advice on what to do as most things they sell are for fish and harmfull to axies.
what substrate is your axie on? sand or bare bottom tanks are best.
how fast is the out put of your filter?
what foods are you giving him?
what temp is your water?
do you have a light over tank?
has he plenty of hidey holes? caves or plants.
has he changed physically/ ie shrinking gills/ tail, any signs of fungus or injury?
if you could answer these questions or at least some for now we might be able to tell you if you need to give him any help.

Last edited:

Cinderella

Reaction score
ok well,

Not sure how old he is we only got him last week, he is about 10-15cm.
Not sure how to check the water, I was looking for stuff yesterday but couldn't find anything.
The pet shop gave me some blue salt stuff for the water but im not sure what it is.
I am using sand on the bottom, I did have gravel but i took it out as soon as I found out it was bad.
Not sure how fast the output on my filter is but I got a new out yesde and it is pretty good I think it does 250Lts an hour or more.
I was feeding him some frozen blocks that the pet shop gave me, I also got some pellets yesde but he hasn't had any yet.
Ah the water temp I think that is the problem, it is around 22c usualy but it was up to 25 last night, I am looking around for something to cool it down but untill then he is in the fridge.
No light over tank.
He does have a bit of a hiding place but I am looking for some plants and cave like thing.
He does look a bit white in places but he has had white bits on him since we got him, but he might have more, I am gonna give him a salt bath today.

digger

Reaction score
the best thing for him at the mo i think is definately the cool and dark,
if you are putting him in the fridge dont forget to use dechlorinated water, cover the top of his tub with something dark to stop light and temp fluctuations,also remember to have bottle of dechlorinated water in there with him ready for water changes.
i would assume at his length he is still young about 4/6 months going on the rate mine grew,i could be wrong here and im sure someone will correct me if i am.
he should be quite active and eating once a day [ nice wiggly worm ] would be the best i think to tempt him with as they are very active and axies instinct is to grab anything that moves, lol, even a finger.
i can only suggest that maybe due to his lack of hidey holes ect he might be a bit stressed so would be good to leave him in fridge until he has more cover in his tank.
keep us posted to how things are going. and good luck

digger

Reaction score
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
ph = 6.4/7.4 ish
nitate = 40/80 or 400/800
the 2 main ones to keep a close check on are ammonia and nitite as these can cause problems.
if they are high in the tank just do daily 20/30% water changes with dechlorinated water and it will gradually sort its self out.

natalie14

Reaction score
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
ph = 6.4/7.4 ish
nitate = 40/80 or 400/800
the 2 main ones to keep a close check on are ammonia and nitite as these can cause problems.
if they are high in the tank just do daily 20/30% water changes with dechlorinated water and it will gradually sort its self out.

I Need to get my water tested what is the best Home tester Kit to buy would you say?

:confused:

digger

Reaction score
you can get your water testing kits from aquatics shop.
the ones that use test tubes are best, i know it is expensive but if you can buy one kit that tests them all in the long run it works out cheaper.
if you cant afford a kit yet ask your shop to do it for you, some charge a small fee but most are free.
one important thing to remember about maintaining clean enviroment isto remove any poo or uneaten food as soon as you see it.
all tanks need to cycle and there is no reason why your axie cannot be in the tank whilst this is going on aslong as he is healthy and you do daily spot cleaning and water changes.
visit axolotl.org for all the nitty gritty on cycleing ect.

digger

Reaction score
mine is API freshwater master test kit.
it comes with test tubes 8 bottles of test fluid, and colour charts for comparing water against.
it cost around £25. but will last over 12 months unless all my tanks develop serious problems.

Cinderella

Reaction score
We are probably going to do up his tank this week cause well I want to make him happy.

Where could I find some worms?

Thanks for your help!

kapo

Reaction score
If you don't have a compost heap, then find out from one of the local garden centres or hardware stores, if they know of anyone places that sell worms, especially if they sell the wormfarm or compost bins - most have a list. Otherwise do you have baitshops/angling shops - they may have a source of baitworms.

Cinderella

Reaction score
Oh i was lookin at Dobby yesde when I gave him a salt bath and it seems that he has a cut on his tail, don't know what it could be from everything in the tank is made of plastic, also I have noticed in the water he's in there is stuff that looks like bits of fluff but they must come off him, what could it be, I clean it out everyday.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!