Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eastern Newts

alwayskelly

Reaction score
Hello all, Well since my last thread we set up a new tank for Sid and Sally's babies. So far I have counted 13 babies...doing very well. We have been feeding them aquatic worms everyday. The largest one is fixing to lose it's "gil"s. Here is my question to anyone...how can you tell the difference between male and female? My husband thinks the males are darker judging by the parents colors. Any ideas would be great.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting them through larvahood! I've never heard of any early indicator of gender in eastern newts. I won't say it's absolutely impossible, but I think it's unlikely that you can tell by color.

What kind of setup do you have planned for the babies after they metamorphose?

alwayskelly

Reaction score
in reply to setup...

We set up a new 10 gal. tank just for the babies...small gravel with green fox tail, java fern ,and a few other aquatic plants and they seem to love it. We did add an air stone too. They are ready for new homes so we plan to keep 2, give 2 to a friend and are going to sell the rest to our fav aquarium place. So a question I might add is...what age and how can you tell the difference in sex? LOL The only way we figured it out with Sid and Sally was because he is constantly locked onto her. By the way, yes they are still reproducing in their new tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!