Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing Triturus Pygmaeus

BindyBrinsop

Reaction score
horbury, wakefield, west yorkshire, england
I have been sold 2 pygmy marbled newts by our local pet shop 3 weeks ago. They are thriving and very entertaining.
They were sold to me as a breeding pair and the shop owner told me the brighter green one was the male and the darker green one was the female. However i'm not sure if this is true and wanted to know more about sexing this particular breed of newt.
The brighter one has the most obvious orange line down its back, whereas the other has a darker line down its back with browny dots along it. I'll get some pictures of them when i work out the best way to take them.
However any pointers that i can look for would help. Behaviour wise too.
The brighter one does line to lie still directly over the darker one when they are resting.

Thanks Sharon:D:rolleyes:

caudataman

Reaction score
Hi Sharon,

It sounds like your supplier had it backwards. The solid back line and bright coloration is a female indicator, whereas the broken back line and darker coloration is a male indicator. The females are generally a bit more robust than the males as well...

Brian

BindyBrinsop

Reaction score
horbury, wakefield, west yorkshire, england
thanks

thanks for your quick reply, i thought they'd got it wrong too.
I just asked about behaviour because they do have different personalities, the brighter one is the better swimmer and generally more active, whereas tha darker one is quieter, has its moments but can usually be found under a rock.
sharon:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1