newb

axp117crow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
John W. Smith
hey, my name is john and i'm thinking of owning a salamander/newt. i have owned snakes, currently only 1 as my family frowned upon me having adult boa and pythons with an infant in the house. so i have a sub-adult ball python now and my lil weiner dog. i'm into fieldherping and snakes and salamanders are definately my two favorite things, so now i want to make the jump into keeping and possibly breeding salamanders. figured i'd hop on here for some advice and all that other good stuff.

Are you looking for something terrestrial? Aquatic? Are you looking for large species or small? What about outgoing or shy?

i don't know for sure what type of species, i was thinking a tiger, i've always had a facination with them. i was thinking for my first time to to get some common, wild salamanders and see how it goes. i don't think i want an aquatic species, though if i got a tiger i would like to get a waterdog so i can watch it morph. as far as outgoing or shy, i would go either way. my ball python only come out at night, so i'm used to shy animals.

if you can't tell i'm leaning towards a tiger, but am definately open to suggestions

Welcome, John. Since you have an inclination toward a terrarium rather than aquatics, a tiger would be an excellent "first species" to keep. They definitely cannot be bred in captivity, but after a while you may find other interesting species that can be. And at the right times of year, you may be able to find wild eggs to raise, which can also be rewarding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back