Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill colour change

wreckgar

Reaction score
Hi all, when I first bought Axel (Juvenile Leucistic) his gills were very pale, nearly the same colour as his body. I've had him for about 5 days now and his gills are a very vibrant puce. Is this a good sign? My pump doesn't break the surface of the water so I thought maybe he was struggling to get oxygen? He is still fairly timid, and is still pooing out the occasional piece of gravel. I fed him his first prawn last night, I halved it first and he loved it. It took him about 10 minutes to actually swallow it though!

Thanks,

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Ho hum..puce..not sure about that, can't even picture what colour it might be ( put it down to old age!!). A leucistic tends to have shades of pink if thta helps

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Their gills will be more bright when they're active or stressed. They're paler when they're sleeping or otherwise inactive. It's normal.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
That colour sounds better, I was thinking puce was a greeny yellow colour and that would not have been at all good!!. Sounds like Axel is much happier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1