Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anchor Worm!! Help

J A M

Reaction score
i've done the salt and fridge thing for 2 days and it looks like the anchor worms are still there.
or are they dead but still hanging off the body?

The pet shop wants me to buy ICH medication coz they said it will kill anchor worms...
and some sites said that i have to use Dimlin Powder or Potassium Permanganate.....
what should I do now?

Also since I put it in the fridge i think there's some white fluff coming off its body...
should i use the ICH medication they sold me? or get those powder things?

kclinton

Reaction score
The white fluff is fungus. With my fish they said I could try and pull the ancor worm out. For the fungus use salt baths.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is white fluff coming off its body, it's either shedding skin or fungus, can you tell which? If it's fungus, continue giving the salt baths.

The standard treatment for anchor worm is Dimilin. It has been used on axolotls, so it's not going to kill the axie. What medication did you they give you for Ich (what are the active ingredients)? If it contains malachite green or copper, do not use it. I am not 100% sure if ich meds will kill anchor worm, but from what I have read, they probably will not. I'd say go for the dimilin. It is usually sold for pond animals, so you'd find it in stores that sell koi and pond fish. And as Karrie mentioned, you can pull the anchor worms out, but this will cause a nick in the skin. And the whole tank is likely to be infested, so you probably have to treat the whole tank.

Good luck!

kclinton

Reaction score
I don't think the Ich meds will kill ancor worm. Jennifer knows more than me, at this point might want to try the Dimilin if the whole tank has got them no point in just treating the axie he will just get them a again.

Hope he gets better soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!