catherinepet1

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
catherinepet1
hi all​
this is new to me so please bear with me.
my two adult kids got me my new babies as a birthday pressie.
my husband left me and they think i needed somthing to look after.
well now i have normin and hagrig.
i love these things but was under the reason they where easy to look after.
so far since august they have been know trouble
i keep tropical as well as fresh water fish
but looking on site
i am scared
my water levels are fine/eg ph/amon/nit
adelaide water is hard
have a top fillter
do water changes 20 % every third day
but still my white albino female yes she is true
floats every second day or so
i have gave them pvc pipes fresh AND PLACTIC PLANTS

no gravel clear bottom but huge glass balls
they have a ball with
tank is 3 ft only 2 axies
what am i doing wrong
no sign of fungie/or anything
i have read all on site taken me over 9 days worth of reading
if i could go back and change my kids mids
i dont think after all i have read this would be my choice
but i have them now aND YOU GUYS ARE MY ANSWERS

Hi Catherine,
I've just read your thread and is the problem the floating alternate days?, if that is then if your axolotl is any thing like mine they tend to float a little more than normal prior to 'poohing'..
What are you currently feeding them? I have been looking into using pellets but many have some plant based material in which I would presume to be of little use to the axolotl, at present they are fed live earth worms, occasional fresh water river shrimp..then its raw slivers of lean meat, heart tiger prawn ( worm size)
And lastly for me, what is the tank temperature..I think you supplied every thing else!!.
Try not to worry too much, there are many here who can help or suggest things.
Julia

Occasional floating is not usually a serious problem. As Belle suggested, consider the diet. Also, do you age the clean water before putting it in the tank?

Hi Catherine,

Sounds like your axies are getting excellent care.

I have three one likes the bottom of the tank and walking rather then swimming, One likes the upper 1/3 of the tank and floating and the third likes hiding in the plants.

I wouldn't be too worried about your axie floating. I would try what Belle suggests anyway.

Good Luck

Hi one of mine likes the bottom the other likes to float all most all the time. As long as it can get down and stay down when it wants/needs to. I would not worry much.

thanks all

my axies get,
live blood worms:eek:
or worms from garden, thanks for letting me know axies do float ,as i was pretty scarded ,i i am sure all is well .
thanks to evryone that has replyed
catherine.:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back