Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Holiday in Spain, Malaga, who can help me with places to find caudates?

robkeulers

Reaction score
22 oktober I'm going to Nerja, Malaga, Spain. I'm looking for people who can give me some information where I can find animals in that area. I you have information for me, Pleas PM or email me, thanks!

lamas

Reaction score
I´m Spanish but I´m not from Malaga, I´m from Cadiz that´s very near. I can help you in how to find different species of amphibian and some reptiles. This is my msn: ismael_lamas_90@hotmail.com

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You are specifically told in the rules in this part of the forum not to ask for this information. I'm getting sick of this. For every person who is a genuine field herper there's someone who field herps and collects (Illegally!!! There is no other type of collection of Salamandra and Triturus in western continental Europe) at the same time. I have personal knowledge of many such people and my tolerance for it reached an end several months ago, and I have zero tolerance for people asking specific locality data here.

And before anyone wonders, yes I've been to Gersfeld enough times to see that many of the so-called elite hobbyists are low-life illegal collectors of protected salamanders that they re-sell at exhorbitant prices. They know who they are and many use this site, unfortunately.

Aitortxu

Reaction score
22 oktober I'm going to Nerja, Malaga, Spain. I'm looking for people who can give me some information where I can find animals in that area. I you have information for me, Pleas PM or email me, thanks!
Maybe you only want to take some photos, but the risks are too high. I recommend Spanish people not to answer in these cases and never to give concretly localitations.

lamas

Reaction score
Sorry, it will not happen again. I thought that he only wanted to see newts, not to catch them

robkeulers

Reaction score
Great!

What A nice replies here.

"I thought that he only wanted to see newts, not to catch them"
Now it looks like I'm some kind of criminal. I just wanted to go out herping in Spain, I didn't want to catch anything. Our of love for the animals I wanted to see them in their natural habitat, not to catch them, on the contrary!

I am one of the two webmasters of www.caudata.nl, the dutch website about newts. I tell people the same, don't steal from the wild, But before I say that I try to find out what his purposes are. I don't judge by one simple post. I only do that after multiple questionable posts.

In the Netherlands I am volunteer for RAVON, a club who monitors ampibians in the Netherlands.... Besides that I keep several species of newts from all over the world. Cynops ensicauda popei,Cynops pyrrogaster sayasamae, Tylototriton verrucosus (light and dark form), Tylototriton shanjing, Tylototriton kweichowensis, Triturus Marmoratus and all of them, with no exception are captive bred. I dislike wildcaught animals, so I don't want to have them, and I don't have them.

Who of you can say the same?

Thanks but no thanks for your kind replies

Last edited:

Aitortxu

Reaction score
We have nothing against you, as I said maybe just want to make some pictures. But it is a precautionary measure, not what you take it amiss. Many people, from both outside and here, has been dedicated capture tritons and salamanders to sell.

I wish you a happy new year;)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It really is nothing against you Rob....i was accused of the same thing for posting pics of salamandra... I understand ppl here is very concerned, as concerned as you and i are, but since we don´t know each other personally, it´s a very sensible decission to be cautious. Also this forum has definite rules about giving such information so we should respect that.

lamas

Reaction score
Rob, perhaps I haven´t explained myself very well. I wanted to say that I offered to help you because I supposed that you only wanted to see newts, but I never wanted to say that you really wanted to catch them.

Happy new year!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1