Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What Can You Get In Australia?

Blue Dragonfly

Reaction score
:confused: I have 2 axies at the moment, and they are fascinating, but i was just looking through the different galleries at the different types of salamander, newts, frogs, etc, and i was just wondering if any of these are available in australia? They are so beautiful, but australia doesn't allow heaps of animals in the country because of quarantine restrictions etc. we dont even have hamsters and apparently they are massively popular in america. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Again.

Abrahm

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the only caudate (newt and salamander) available for sale in Australia is the axolotl. There are also no native caudates. :(

As for other amphibians, I have no idea what is available. I know that you guys have some pretty cool frogs, but I don't know what non-natives are allowed.

pesco

Reaction score
Why don't you settle for native amphibians?
You'll have perfect weather conditions for them and they might be even more interesting then non-natives. Even more, you could contribute to better understanding they behaviour by working out how to breed them possibly you could support local populations in case they would start disappearing.
When I was a kid I've done similar thing with T.vulgaris and T.alpestris back home in Poland. I was collecting adults from a ponds around, collecting they eggs and raising larvae. After the breading season the adults where going back to the pond where I collected them as I didn't have facilities to overwinter them properly. I was raising larvae and later morphs till early autumn and them some morphs where going back to the pond where the adults where from while other youngsters where going to new ponds. After around 20 years they are still in a places I introduced them!

Don't go for endangered species without getting enough experience on similar common species and without contacting local herpetologists first

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bluedragonfly,

Axolotls are the only caudates you can keep in australia without a license. There are no other caudates that are permissible. However you can keep several species of anurans (frogs) with a license.

Symb075c00b700f000000000.png
People may keep frogs as pets under a licensing and record keeping system that allows the State Government agencies to monitor what species are being kept, bred and traded amongst enthusiasts.

A person who wishes to keep frogs may do so only if they have an Amphibian Keepers Licence. People who hold a licence may obtain frogs and tadpoles from other people who legally hold them, but they are not allowed to be sold through pet shops in some states of Australia and must not be taken from the wild. There are three classes of amphibian keeper licence's.

Any person over 10-years-old can get a Class 1 licence. The 45 species, that can be kept under a Class 1 licence, are easy to look after. Some of the frogs which can be kept under a Class 1 licence are the Green, Red-eyed, Dainty, White - lipped and Peron’s Tree Frogs, Striped Marsh Frog and Common Froglet.

Class 2 and Class 3 licence's are for species that are rare and / or more difficult to keep than those species that can be kept under a Class 1 licence. These licence's are available to people who are over the age of 18 years who have had at least two years experience in caring for Class 1 frogs. 9 species are listed for Class 2 and over 20 species are listed for Class 3. A person who has a Class 2 licence can also keep Class 1 animals for no extra fee and a Class 3 licence allows the licensee to keep any of the species that can be kept under the licensing system.

All frogs (and tadpoles) are protected in NSW under the National Parks and Wildlife Act, and it is against the law to take them from the wild to keep as pets. You can get a licence from the NPWS to keep frogs.

For educational purposes, schools in NSW have been licensed to enable children and their teachers to collect and keep a maximum of 20 tadpoles to watch them grow and transform into froglets. Tadpoles must never be collected from national parks or other reserves. Once tadpoles have transformed into froglets, they must be released back in the location where they were collected.

Obtaining and caring for frogs and tadpoles
Once you have a licence, you can acquire frogs - but only from other licence holders. It's a good idea to join a herpetological society, to benefit from others' experience.

For more information on licensing we suggest you contact NPWS. You will notice on the licence it mentions to allow 10 working days, however SOFAR recommends you allow at least 4 - 6 weeks to receive your amphibian and reptile licence back, especially over Dec - Jan period.

Feel free to message me if you have any further queries.

Cheers

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Wow...that is a neat system Australia has. So is their any way for people to collect themselves or is it all strictly CB? (in that case it is interesting their'd be class 2 and 3 licenses)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Joseph,

In Australia, Anurans can only be kept through a classing license system. Private 'undeclared' collection is an offence.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!