what can i do

linz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
linsey baxter
i have had my axie since may this year. she feeds on lambs liver, bloodworm and occasionaly beef heart. she has stoped eating and spits everything out, my water is fine and my filter is to a gentle flow. any advice welcome and also any more ideas on meal ideas? im not a great fan of messing with live worms etc

Hi Linz,

How often have you been feeding and about how old is your axie?

how big is your axie? 20cm would be classed as adult.
how often is it fed? adults only need feeding 2-3 times aweek.
ive got to admit i dont like feeding live worms either but after my partner got some and i saw how quick mine went after them compared to anything else it changed my mind.
mine now have 1 worm 2 times a week and a couple of trout pellets as a treat.
live food is far more interesting to axies and it might just do the trick.
good luck

hi, not sure how old she is, she is about 25cm. i feed her two tiny pieces of liver every other day and i put a cube of frozen blood worm in her tank on the other days, i am over feeding then arent i?

hello linsey, My axie loves worms too, as digger said above she isnt too keen on feeding worms but once you see how they react to a worm wriggling in front of them it becomes easier i think. I try to find worms that will fit easily in her mouth so i don't have to chop them , then i just drop one in the tank and she watches it wriggling for a few seconds then lunges or she will swim to the waters surface and grab it before i get the chance to drop it in...you could use tweezers if your not keen on touching it (the worm), i also vary her diet with bloodworm (frozen and live) frozen lancefish, prawn and liver and I find that she likes to have the variety rather then the same one thing for a few days

hi linsey i would definately cut back on her food at that size she definately doesnt need it,
a couple of times a week would suffice.

hi, thanks for the replys, ive been reading about them getting stressed a lot so today i have put a black background paper around her tank and added a few more silk plants to float on the water. she seems happier. i have also been and brought some trout pellets but not sure how to feed her with them? my last question is can i just put a live earthworm straight into her tank? i put live blood worm and daphnia in yesterday and she hasdnt touched them. i will definatley stop feeding her so much. ill try and get some pictures later today of her set up thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back