keepin ya up to date

alwayskelly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kelly Blake
Just wanted to show ya what I meant about the different colors of eastern newts...which is male or female? And a brag picture of a group waiting at feeding time.

Attachments

• 100_0825.jpg
    100_0825.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_0847.jpg
    100_0847.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 231
They must be the same species...or I have a new species all together cause I have 13 babies...wait...the two were the babies! LOL Cool tho huh? Ain't life full of surprises?

I think they are the same subspecies. It is not uncommon for eastern newts to vary from light to dark. Are those the only two adults? They both look female to me, but I'm not certain. During breeding season, the male will have black pads on his back feet and he'll be the one grasping the female.

No, those are the 2 largest babies of the 13. We have the parents in a separate 10 gal tank. They are much larger. They are still breeding which makes it very obvious which is the male. If it were not for the breeding I really would not have known which was male or female. I'm sort of curious now...how old are they when they do start to breed? Anyone know?

I'm quite impressed that those are the babies! Have they stayed aquatic the whole time, or did they go through a terrestrial phase? Good work!

Our babies have been aquatic always...just like their parents. We are very proud of all the new babies that survived...I thank all of you at this site for the information you gave us, now we know what we have and how to take care of them.

You don't know how lucky you are, Kelly! Most eastern newts go through a totally terrestrial eft phase and are more difficult to care for (and slow-growing) during that period. Yours are beautiful. Do you happen to know which subspecies they are (where did they come from)?

I just received some captive bred Nvl from James, and these animals look very similar to what Kelly has posted in this thread. And I think James also told me his morphs remained mostly aquatic. Hey James, are you out there to comment? :)

They look just like my N.v.louisianensis (centrel newts) if that is what yours, are the color difference dosen't matter. I have males/females that are dark brown and males/females that are light goled.The difference between the males/females are the hind legs on males are larger and there black spots are larger then the females.I have bread them for maney years and they always stay aquatic even the new morphs.

Everything I know of these newts I have been told from this site, so as for which species I am not sure. My husband worked at a lily farm years ago and was cleaning one of the ponds when he found the 2 adults. So they come from Homestead Florida which is south of Miami. They stay underwater all the time except when they come up for air. I must say they really are the coolest pets to watch...especially now that we have all these babies doing so well. They are finally getting old enough where we are planning to get rid of some...2 to a friend and plan to sell some to our neighborhood aquarium fish store. We've been feeding them fresh aquatic worms daily and now the babies are old enough where at times they "play" tug a war for a worm. I'll keep ya'll informed as to their progress.

It sounds like they are N.v.piaropicola

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought they were adults also.

Thats great that you got them to breed, and yes you are very lucky that there wasn't an eft stage.

Keep up the good work!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back