Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger questions?

atka

Reaction score
Hello, I have a tiger that is in a top soil tank but am in the process of moving him/her to a bigger tank and had a couple questions about what substrate to use. I have thought about coconut fiber but have heard is not good at breaking down organic material. I have also read on this forum that coconut fiber and top soil mixed is a good substrate but how much do you mix of each or is the top soil put on top of the fiber? Also what is a good kind of top soil to buy? (for when the ground here is frozen) And the last question (for now) is if you feed the tiger earthworms do they have to be dusted (I know crickets should)?

Also I have not been able to find any feces of the Salamander but have heard that the tigers go in a water dish if it is provider is this true? (The dish does get dirty every day)

Thanks for any info.

Freik

Reaction score
I have never kept tiger salamanders, so I don't know anything about the substrate, but for the earthworm(s);
It should be dusted like some times a week with calcium (not sure how many times with tigers..), just the same way crickets is dusted (in a box or something, with calcium and the worm, just shake it!:p).

Also, welcome to the forum (I'm new too^^ joined yesterday) lots of nice peoples here is my first expression, that is willing to help you if you got any questions/problems.

atka

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Info is pretty scarce on amphibians. I have read sites that say use white gravel for the tigers so that they contrast against it :eek:.

Freik

Reaction score
The info isn't scarce if you know where to look:tongue: Have a look at this site, for instance, where they say something about the substrate later on (at "Housing"). Also, if you wonder about any info these keywords are usable for most species; Species + caresheet. For instance; Tiger salamander + caresheet

"A substrate suitable for burrowing must be provided. Many owners use potting soil (no vermiculite), peat, and bark chips, or sphagnum moss. Anything that can be kept moist and allow burrowing is fine, so gravel is not appropriate."

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/salamanders/a/tigersalamander.htm

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you’ve done your substrate homework already because top soil or coco fibre are the best choices. You’re right that some keepers mix the two together to improve the moisture retention properties of the substrate. To mix them you’ll need a big bucket and be prepared to get your hands dirty – 50/50 is ok but there are no rules. The top soil you’re after is the standard stuff you’d find at a garden or hardware store. You’re after a brand that is free from pesticides and additives such as fertilizers (ones labelled as “organic” are good). Sterilized top soils are also something to look out for as they will contain less nasties.

Earthworms are one of the more nutritious food items and I personally wouldn’t dust them. Dusting is necessary when you are feeding items that are nutritionally incomplete as a staple (crickets, mealworms etc). If you provide a varied diet with a staple of earthworms you shouldn’t have problems.

Salamander poop is normally oval, dark and smoothish. Sometimes it’s difficult to distinguish from soil. He may go in the water dish but the water will get dirty every time he takes a dip as he’ll be dragging soil in with him.

Mark

Freik

Reaction score
Earthworms are one of the more nutritious food items and I personally wouldn’t dust them. Dusting is necessary when you are feeding items that are nutritionally incomplete as a staple (crickets, mealworms etc). If you provide a varied diet with a staple of earthworms you shouldn’t have problems.

Oh, you posted at the same time as me:rolleyes: But I was fastest! he he, just kidding.

Anyway, I didn't know this, but I thought he said that he only fed earthworms, because if you do that you have to add some calcium. But of course, varied is good.

atka

Reaction score
No the main diet is earthworms but I also feed crickets and superworms.

Freik

Reaction score
No the main diet is earthworms but I also feed crickets and superworms.

Thats good;) keep doing that. My newts don't want to eat crickets (even my huuge P. waltl which is about 15-20cm) - so I feed them turtle pellets and earthworms. How do you get yours to eat the crickets if I can ask without hijacking your thread :p

atka

Reaction score
I hand feed my tiger and he always goes after my hands when ever they are in the tank. If I am removing the water dish he'll start to walk over. So I think he'll eat anything that is in my fingers.

Freik

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the links Mark - I'll look into them later.

atka

Reaction score
I found some soil that is certified organic but it contains peat moss and perlite (for drainage) I am assuming that this is not good. I think I'll just get a bunch of top soil from my garden the only thing that ever goes in there is manure.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I found some soil that is certified organic but it contains peat moss and perlite (for drainage) I am assuming that this is not good. I think I'll just get a bunch of top soil from my garden the only thing that ever goes in there is manure.
Peat moss and perlite/vermiculite should be avoided as should manure...depending on manure concentration, can cause burning and other issues. If these are your choices, I would use coco-fiber alone and change the substrate every 4-8 weeks. As for the feces, I usually find the football-shaped pellets underneath the hides my tigers use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1