Back legs arent working

Janeen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Has anyone ever had an axie who's back legs didn't work?

Im very worried about Eddy, he is dragging himself around by his front legs only. They are spread out )but there was a time there when he had them pulled tight into his body, but the passing of a few gravels seemed to of changed that!)

Some history: I brought him from the pet shop, did all the things they told me to do, and managed to make him very sick. He got a fungal infection, which has since been fixed by salt baths, and has been in the fridge to de-stress for the past three weeks. It has been 4 weeks since he has eaten, water parameters are all good to go, and I have him beside me at the moment in his fridge water, bringing it back to the temperature of his tank, so I can attempt putting him back into his newly cycled (2 weeks) tank complete with a hidey hole and LARGE rocks. Although, Im not sure I should now, as he seems to be very unsteady still!

So does anyone at all know the reason why his back legs arent working please?????? Has this ever happened to anyone elses axie before? What causes it and how do I fix it so he doesnt go back into stress mode again.

Are his legs spread out normally, only time I've seen something similar is when our young axies had their feet bitten off by tankmates and they dragged themselves around by the front legs. But in his case he may still be recuperating. This may not necessarily involve putting him back in the fridge, unless tank temperature hovers over 20C, but you might need to keep an eye on him in another container (rather than the tank) and attempt to feed him gradually over the next few days and see whether he improves before reintroducing him to the tank. When you do add him to the tank you'll have to keep an eye on water temperature; if it gets high this can stress him out again.

Thank you for your quick response. Yes his legs are spread out normally, and he is (and since I have had him) been in the tank on his own. I have put afrozen bottle of dechlorinated water in his tank (and have plenty of back ups in the fridge to exchange on a regular basis to keep it a regular temp)

I have put a towel over his tank to keep it dim and I just tried feeding him an earth worm, and he backed away and just doesnt want to know about it (as he has done for 4 weeks now) Was wondering if it is because that he has only recently come out of the fridge or not!!!!!

When I got him, he had lost his front right foot and had no gills, just a 2mm horn, do the gills grow back as his foot is as I know they regenerate!

Last edited:
Ok, he has pulled the legs into his body now, and cannot get his balance now that he is in a slightly bigger area?

Yes gills do grow back, the gills are actually the gill stubs (probably what you call the horn) with gill filaments (the hairy bits). They'll regenerate but probably not as they originally were.

Yes, it will probably take a bit longer than a day to feed. Try just dropping the earthworm in or chopping a bit of earthworm, tailend if you can work it out (worms also regenerate), and leaving it in the container for about an hour, if it remains uneaten then remove it. Try feeding twice a day to entice him to eat.

If he appears wobbly, then lower the water as much as possible in the containers so that he doesn't float/wobble, but still high enough to cover his back and hope that helps. Change the water daily on this container, as you did in the fridge, but the water needs to be the same temperature. Keep the chilled dechlorinated bottles of water in the fridge, in case you need to put him back in.

Just got back from the vet, Eddy had a growth on his spine that paralysed his back legs!!!!!!!

Just waiting for pathology reports to find out about the growth, so fingers crossed!!!!!

I suppose its a bit redundant now but my friend has a rescued bearded dragon which is paralysed waist down (friendliest creaature you will ever meet with cold blood!) this was due to lack of calcium. I know axies arnt the same as lizards but some times info like that can ring bells so thought I would mention it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back