Narbc

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
So this weekend was the North American Reptile Breeder Conference and expo in Tinley Park (Chicago), Illinois. I was graciously offered free transportation from Jim Harding (of Michigan Herps fame) and his buddy Pete Wilson, and free tickets from Bob Ashley (the organizer, and owner of Eco Publishing). Since FREE is right in my price range, I thought I'd make the trip down.

As are many expos, NARBC ("narbeck") is dominated by ball pythons, crested geckos, reticulated pythons, and leopard geckos. You can't turn around without running into one (or more!). Comparison of prices was interesting though. Snakes that ran in the $12,000 range last year were down to $7,000 this year. Old-toy, new-toy syndrome, perhaps? The most expensive snake was the $30,000 'titanium' burmese python, bred by NERD, New England Reptile Distributors (I think). There was also a few venomous species on display, including one very pretty cobra.

Dart frogs were fairly prevalent, as were your normal whites frogs, the occasional cane toad, a leucistic snapping turtle, but only 2 species of salamander were found. Two tables carried Tylototriton shanjing. One table was offering w/c adults for $19.99 a pop, while the other was offering w/c adults for $29.99 a pop. I refrained from purchasing them. Although cute, I'd much rather have captive bred, and this is a species that is usually available.

The kicker was the trio of Triturus pygmaeus. A cute little species, with their bright green and pretty belly patterns. I was expecting a price on the trio of maybe $50. I asked the guy what he wanted... He came back with the astronomical sum of $250 for a trio of pygmy newts. I laughed him right out of the building.

I originally intended on only staying for a few hours, and heading home. But I got suckered into working the Michigan Society of Herpetologists booth, running the pond game, and then got suckered into staying until the Auction. Of course, the booth next to us had some REALLY cute snakes. I was looking into picking up a Rosy Boa, but didn't really find one that caught my interest. However, the booth next to us had a gorgeous little Kenyan sand boa. These guys are small, stout bodied, and rough all over. They're usually orangy-pink with black/brown splotches. And very personable. She had me from *tongue-flick*. She's only a year old, so she's about... 8 inches long. Cute little thing. And the price was right. So that's the only thing I brought home from NARBC.

So anyone in the area, it's worth the money to get in! Especially if you're into ball pythons or leopard geckos.

Aww, wish there were some expos here in Norway:mad: But I'm afraid I'll have to go to Sweden to get some salamanders.. Do you got any pictures of the snake perhaps? Would love to see it^^

Not yet. She's settling in. I'll bug her in a couple days for feeding and photo shoots.

This is the first year in about 6 years that I've not been able to attend the NARBC show. I usually attend the show and work with the guy that displays the venomous snakes. I do some part-time exhibit consulting work with him and he's always welcome to have extra hands to help man the tables and answer questions. This year however I attended a zoo Amphibian Biology and Management course that started the same weekend. I kinda missed not being able to go to the show but I think learning about amphibians was more important. Besides, I would've been looking for amphibians for sale and now I'm sure I would've been mostly disappointed from what you said.

Well, unless you were into frogs (and not caudates). But I agree, the Amphib Bio & Management would have been much better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back