Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

UK Leaches - Friend or Foe?

russell

Reaction score
I recently floated 10 Water hyacinth bulbs in my large 4 foot tank in the kitchen, all the roots were covered in fresh water shrimp and various other pond life, such as snails, daphnia, water boatmen much to my axys liking. (my mountain minnows gorges themselves too) The worrying thing is, there were a few (6 or 7) leaches in with the mix.

Are the leaches bad news for my tank, they seam to steer well clear of the axys in there do you thing they may like a warmer blooded prey?

Thanks in advance

Russ

Attachments

• tmpphpDpzKpa.jpg
    tmpphpDpzKpa.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

russell

Reaction score
that maybe easier said than done!
However after researching the beasts i may set up another tank and try to keep medicinal one as they are fascinating creatures.

freddy73

Reaction score
Hi, I did the same as you and put some floating plants in the tank, I found a few leeches but I removed them with a turkey baster as they give me the creeps. Plus I was bothered that they would latch on to one of my axies.

rigsby

Reaction score
depends on the type of leech ,some feed 0n small water life which is swallowed whole, some only feed on snails, one on water birds, the fish leech will feed off your axies and the very rare medicinal leech off you if you let it but maily horses and cattle . May be best to try and get them out.

freddy73

Reaction score
Thank goodness mine were only small ones I would have a complete girly moment if I came face to face with a huge leech. (Had to type that a few different ways so it wasn't an ooer missus statement) lol.

TristanH

Reaction score
Russell, can you get a pic of the leech(es)? Preferably with some idea of scale. Then I should be able to identify them. There are only 9 or 10 species in Britain, and ID isn't very difficult.

If you are interested the Freshwater Biological Association (www.fba.org.uk) does a very good key.

Tristan

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are waiting and asking.... just get them out of the tank! (And then keep them as pets, if you like.) If they are that large, it shouldn't be difficult to pull them out by hand. If you are afraid they will bite you, use a spoon to shove them into a small cup or container. It's possible that they are harmless, but why take the chance?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1