Swollen bodied fire belly newt - Sick??

amandab8

Reaction score
I've had the same 4 newts for about 2 years and all of them have been pretty much the same size as they were when I bought them. However, about a week ago I noticed on of my larger newts looked swoolen. It was an obvious swollen, his face/neck area was fat, his abdomen fat, and his butt underneath his tail. His legs were fine and his tail was normal size, plus he was swimming and moving around like normal. Just tonight I see him out of the water, which isn't unusual, but EXTRA swollen. He is enormous, and much bigger. Swoolen half way down the tail, his back looks extremely wide and stretched almost, and his neck is too big for his head anymore. He looks so uncomfortable and although he is a newt, and no vet would even think of "fixing" him, I still can't stand to have an animal suffer in my care. I need to know what is going on. He must be sick. This has never happened before to him nor the other newts. I've had 2 newts many years ago and that didn't happen to them even when they were shedding. I touched his side to see if he was still alive and he moved. But he looks dry and I figure if they are dry then they'll go back in the water but I think he's too swollen to move. Tell me what could be wrong with him and how I can ease his suffering.

sound like you have a newt with bloat and in my experience once the get to the stage yours has theres not a lot of hope of survival as internal organ problems are usually involved. I think a few members have managed a cure and may be able to give some pointers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back