Different breeds breeding?

squiddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if different species of axie can breed. I was going to get a new white one with my wild type (Ray), I was just wondering if they might 'hit it off'?

they will all interbreed as it is just colour variations.
doesnt neccessarily mean they will though.

There is only one species of axolotl - Ambystoma Mexicanum.
However they will interbreed with any of the other Ambystoma species generaly resulting in a Morphed axy, and therefore not really an axolotl at alll.

If memory serves me correct we have lots of different coloured ones due to a ?Neotic? Tiger Salamanders genes been introduced.

There is only one species of axolotl - Ambystoma Mexicanum.
However they will interbreed with any of the other Ambystoma species generaly resulting in a Morphed axy, and therefore not really an axolotl at alll.

If memory serves me correct we have lots of different coloured ones due to a ?Neotic? Tiger Salamanders genes been introduced.

Hi russel,

Not all species of the Ambystoma-complex will interbreed because they are more or less closely related to each other (genetically).
Apart from that there may be a practical problem since some of them mate in the water, some do not.

Nevertheless, there are quite some Ambystoma that are able to breed with each other.

As for axolotls - it does not make a difference what colour they are, as far as there is a male and a female and they "like" each other. ;) You might be surprised, what colours can result from a mating of two axolotls.

The albino-comlex in A. mexicanum (Axolotl) was introduced by an experiment of Humphrey in the late 60s (I do not know the year right now). In this experiment he artificially "mated" an Axolotl with a Tigersalamander and the tiger was albino, but not neotenic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back