USA: West Coast Breeders

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis Summers
Does anyone have any idea if there are breeders of Caudates on the west coast? I'm interested to see what species is currently captive bred so that I may focus my efforts towards that which is lacking. I know for a fact that Axies are in short supply here. (I currently have two, but I think they are both males.)

I really think it would be great to find out who is breeding what on this side of the country. Can anyone help me out in this? Your input is much appreciated!!

Well, I am west of the Rockies, but not on the coast. I keep several species - Cynops pyrrhogaster, Cynops orientalis, Pachytriton labiatus, N. v. louisianensis,and M. a. apuanus. The Cp's are the only ones that have ever bred for me, but I am planning on providing conditions for the other species this year to allow breeding (well, not the Pachy's!) and will offer offspring from any and all of the species that produce them. Hope that helps,
Heather

Ouch, that hurts! I was upset when NY banned ownership of tigers because of a small population of tigrinum that is endangered on Long Island, but with the tigrinum/mavoritum split the latter was then legal. NY prohibits non-native box turtles species for whatever reason as well. With the need to protect CA tigers from interbreeding and the xenopus and bullfrog problem, I guess I can understand CA DFG's concerns...still stinks though...

btw - does CA have cane toad issues as well?

If the sale of axolotls is forbidden in California how can an instate biological supply company sell them to residents?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back