Help - My Son Has Pulled Part Of Axies Tail Off

FATTY FISH

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Help!!! I Just Found My Axie With Bits Of His Tail Missing, And The End Looks Raw..he Appears To Be Missing The Tip And Bits And Pieces Of The Upright Fin On His Tail (looks Like He May Have Been Squeezed), What Should I Do???

I Will Post Photos As Soon As He Moves To The Front Of The Tank

Hi,

Usually a damaged tail is no big deal for an Axolotl - it will regrow. Just have an eye on the wound that no fungus gets into it. The outer parts of the wound should be closed by a blastem within a couple of days and then the regrowing process starts.
If you want to be on the safe side, move him to a quaratine tank (or bowl/bucket) with nothing more than clean water. You should also be careful if the axolotl has any companions in his tank for the smell of blood may trigger other axolotls to take a bite.

No Biggy Fatty Fish. The main reason axies are in alot of research facilities is their regeneration abilities.

It will grow back and as Daniel says just keep an eye out for fungus and infections otherwise nature will take care of things.

Good Luck

Gday, thanks for responding, i have found out my five year old took him out the tank to "pat" him, im about to quarantine him in a fresh tank, i had read they re-grow their limbs but wasnt sure how to treat him. what can i do to prevent any fungus growing? other than put him in a fresh tank? or will that be enough? also if he does get a fungal infection what can i use to treat him as ive heard most fish treatments can harm axies. Thanks for taking the time to offer your assistance.

I did try to download photos (as per previous post) but all i got when they were downloaded was a blank page.

If hes eating no fungus I would leave him keep the tank cool and dark lots of hideing places. Or you couls put him in thr fridge. You use salt baths for fungus.

Hi Fatty Fish,

Fungus is directly linked to water quality and temperature, although it can be introduced to a set up tank. Have a look at www.axolotl.org you will find excellent pictures of what to be looking for, or this site as well.

If your water quality is still good and the temperature good then there should be no problem in returning him to the tank. I would probably leave him in the fridge for a week just to help it de-stress from the trauma.

Good Luck

YAY hes eating again, looks like the little guy is going to be OK, i put him in a small tank and have kept it dark & the temp cool, there is no sign of fungus or infection and the tail looks like it is starting to heal....thanks guys for all the advice, its great to know advice and help is only a CLICK away.

WELL I HAVE EXELLENT NEWS, QUARANTINE SEEMS TO HAVE DONE THE TRICK, AS PER MY LAST POST HE STARTED EATING AGAIN NOT TOO LONG AFTER THE "5yr OLD WITH THE AXIE INCIDENT" AND HIS TAIL & FIN ALONG HIS BACK IS STARTING TO GROW BACK NICELY, I MOVE HOUSE IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS SO I WILL RETURN HIM TO HIS LARGE TANK THEN.

THANKYOU TO ALL WHO GAVE ADVICE...I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULDVE DONE WITHOUT THIS SITE!! A+++++++++++ AND NOW A VERY HAPPY AXOLOTYL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back