disappearing tail?

karlie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can anyone tell me the first signs of morphing axolotl ?My girls lost some gills and her tail seems to not go all the way up her back anymore!(her tails still fine its just the part up her back/body its like disappeared :eek:)should i be putting in a platform or something ?she is about years old now if that helps:confused:

sorry shes 2:ufo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Karlie, as far as I'm aware axolotls that do morph tend to be younger than 2 years old.

Have you had any recent changes or checked your water parameters?

Older axolotls back fin can shrink a bit as they get older, but you may need to get your tankwater tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates to be on the safe side. If you don't have the freshwater test kits, take a sample of tankwater to your petshop, get them to test it for the ones mentioned, then make sure they write down the figures next to each respective one. Then, most importantly don't buy anything they suggest to "fix" the tank etc... Basically, if ammonia or nitrite are above 0, or if nitrates are higher than 80ppm/mg then you'll need to do frequent partial waterchanges (20-30% daily or every two days). If you're not sure post the figures here and someone will help.

Other thing what is your tank temperature and does she share the tank?

thankyou for your reply the water seems to be OK but i have had this test kit for about years so I'm going to buy a new one tomorrow.I had her in the tank with 2 other smaller axols but have moved them out as they stressed her oh and also the waters about 20 degrees i know its warm but I'm waiting on a friends fridge i was going to refrigerated them over summer!

it is very rare to have axolotls morph naturally and as stated by kapo this normally occurs at a much younger age.
i would think that it is more likely to be a water quality problem.
what sort of substrate is she on? gravel hides all sorts of muck as well as the possibilty of her swallowing it and getting impacted.
if you are unsure of your test kit i would take some to your local aquatics shop and ask them to check it for you.
if you are unable to do that at the moment i would remove her from the tank and put her in a tub with clean dechlorinated water, this will be easier to do full water changes daily.
as kapo says the temperature of your tank might also be a problem ideally this should be below 20 degrees.

i did say it was rare and usually at an earlier age, but i am also aware this does happen, occassionally there are exceptions to the rule.
i just think it is better to eliminate all other probabilities first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back