Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiny Axo

L0uv3

Reaction score
Hellow!
My baby Axolotl must be like 2 inch. And he's lazy. He only eats his bloodworm if i feed him in front of his mouth. or else he wont search for it. It just takes quite alot of time to feed him, almost half an hour.
I tryed today the small shrimps pellets that falls on the gravel. he smells it, but isnt interested.
WHAT CAN I DO v_v.... he's a lazy baby. I love him so much i don't want him to get sick or dont eat enough
pleaze help?:confused:

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi you could try brine shrimp a 2" axie sounds quite young. I would do away with the gravel asap if you have a look on this site you will find many threads about gravel impaction and the overwhelming advice will be to get rid of it.

Have you checked the water parameters, ammonia nitrates nitrites and Ph and your water temperature.

Have you had this axie long?

L0uv3

Reaction score
hmmm almost 3 weeks now. Its going quite well, he swims around, he lives with feeders fish guppy feeders. He's not agressive, he likes to be pet and he's happy.
But its still a little hard to feed him. He eats evrything i give him from the pipette thing. Bloodworms are is favorite. But its just takes almost 30 minutes to eat all of it.

I know he's small, i dunt know how come all of you guy's axolotl are big when you just receive them.
I'm from quebec in Canada.
And all of my friends who as axolotls, had them when they were almost 2 inch.
I thought it was normal lol.
But all of you receive them almost full grown!!!!

I just wanted some tricks to feed him.
Becuz he's really healthy and his water is perfect, i've been working in petshops for 10 years soon.
And i bring his water to be test evry week.

He's my precious baby <3

kassie

Reaction score
Not a good idea to have guppy's in with it, Guppy's will nip

digger

Reaction score
i agree with ian get rid of the gravel first,
and as kassie also says the fish will end up nipping him, he is not eating them but they might try to eat him.
at present i have two large juvies that up until last week would only take pellets from my fingers and bloodworm from the end of my turkey baster, and a new poorly juvenile that will only take food from the baster also.
i found that by leaving them for a day without food the next day they where in hunt mode as soon as i approached the tank, they wouldnt even swim around before, but the next day they were all over the tank.
so i lowered the baster in and when they came up to it moved it away a couple of inches then let the blood worm out.
mine went crazy snapping most up immediately the rest they ate a while later.
now i can drop pellets in and they will come and take them from the surface.
like you i think i spoilt them which is nice but not very practical when other things need doing.
so, i would suggest leaving off the food until he becomes more active in the tank and try as i did.
if you use live food it wont hurt to be left in the tank for a while and he will eat when hungry.

digger

Reaction score
please forget previous thread, having seen the pics of your axie now i have a totally differant opinion.
he looks remarkably thin like my new one.
the thermostat on your picture reads water temp being way over 20, this needs to be lowered as this alone will stress him.
i would recommend as in previous post to get rid of fish and see if you can get daphnia.
my new one is surrounded by daphnia and is quite willing to eat that on his own accord, but like yours for some reason will only take blood worm direct.

i would remove the fish and gravel and lower the water level to make the food more easily accessible.
you could also try very tiny slivers of liver as i have yet to find an axie who does not love this and is very good for build up.
good luck and keep us posted.

L0uv3

Reaction score
i took out all the gravel. Now he's mad and hiding in his cave.
The old black termostat thing is not working anymore i have one directl in the water who says teh temperature is at 19.
But if i lower the level of my water, the filter wont work.
I'll take out the feeders also. I dont want them to hurt him, Usually they eat the rest of the blood worms that he didnt eat.
So you think i should wait before feeding him until he comes and meet me at the top of the water??
isnt he already skinny to stop feeding him until he's really hungry??

and teh guppy are gonna nip??? theyre feeders, theyre smaller then his head :S....
Well i'll take them out and put them in my other tank.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

as digger said, you should try to give him some living daphnia or other living food; the movement may cause him to try to catch them.
If he is already thin (I did not see the pics in the other post) you should not let him go hungry for a day.
As for the filter: What kind of filter do you have in the tank? Most axolotls get stressed by too much water flow so you should check this.

L0uv3

Reaction score
i used to have the normal aquaclear that we buy when u buy an aquarium.
That is a kind of waterfall from the top.
Now i bought the elite that goes under water and makes a little movement on the top of water for the air.
he looks happier. I also took half of the water out. now its alot less, he swims around and looks happy.
I'm still feeding him with small bloodworms. And he looks like he's happy.
I though he was ok, but i went on John's website. And i just learned my baby is still a sub adult. His legs arent even full grown, i though one of his bro or sis ate it away. But he's just not full grown yet.

digger

Reaction score
so glad he seems happier now, i would still suggest a bit of daphnia in there with him as this will give him constant food suppl to help build him up.
a good guage is the head, his belly should be approx the same width as his head.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Canada, it is possible to buy live blackworms in some pet shops. As you live in a big city, you should try to find these. They wiggle until they are eaten, so you would not need to feed with the pipette.

L0uv3

Reaction score
the same size of his head!!! OMG Now i understand why you guy says he's skinny :eek:
I'll check at my job tomorrow for the living blackworms, but i never heard of it. thanks ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1