Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cameleon like gill colour changes

russell

Reaction score
Any ones axys gills go from dull listless pink to brilliant red in a fraction of a sec?

Attachments

• 19082007027.jpg
    19082007027.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 22,786

Saspotato

Reaction score
Yep mine do too. When he is sleeping or inactive, his gills tend to be very pale. But after eating and when he is more active they go bright pink very quickly.

I am sure it is normal.

revontulet

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken that's a sign of temporary anaemia, as quoted in the site, axies prefer somewhat hard water (contains a bit of salt, from what I understand). Axies can lose colour in their gills lasting from a few seconds to a few hours, but this is generally not harmful. This link will discuss it in a bit more detail: http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm#hardness

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe my axolotl's gills change colour when they are being more active..but I'll look at revontulets link this evening.
Russell, we certainly do have hard water..we had something attached to our water pipe that is supposed to reduce the hardness, but needless to say I have no idea how it works!! so my kettles last maybe a week longer than yours>

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
gill colour

I've noticed this in my dark coloured axie 'Gill', he seems to be rather pale lately, more so than not. Sometimes they seem green, or black then he eats and they become bright red again. My golden albino 'Sally' doesn't seem to have this problem, yet they share the same tank.

Cheers
Sharon

ianclick

Reaction score
The colour of an axies gills is determined by blood flow. The greater the blood flow the brighter and more intense the gill colour.

So when an axie is inactive or asleep its gills will be paler and when it is active, hunting or eating the colour will be brighter and more intense.

digger

Reaction score
my leucistic loses nearly all gill colour when he needs to poo, once he has been it returns.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
The whole reason the gills are red are for the high amounts of blood in them. The oxygen from the water diffuses into the bloodstream via the gills.

Necturus's gills are much like an axolotls' (I have one), when they are frightened they pull their gills close to their head and the gills hvae most of the blood "sucked" out of them and they are a dull greyish color. If they live in a tank with low oxygen their gills tend to be bigger and more red, to have more surface area to absorb more oxygen. In in very oxygenated water they'd have smaller gills because the oxygen is absorbed easier.

So if the gills aren't bright red you either hvae a lot of oxygen or the axolotl just isn't too active.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As already said, the colour of gills is mainly determined by activity and blood flow.

What I can not approve is a correlation between amount of oxygen and size of gills (at least not for axolotls, I do not have any experience with necturus). From my observations over the last years, axolotls living under the same conditions (meaning with the same water parameters, feeding rhythm or even in the same tank) may develop differenz sizes of gills - independent from the amount of oxygen. After all amphibians consume a lot of oxygen by their skin, meaning the whole body.

Opposed to that an influence seems to be in the pollution of the water; higher levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate seem to have a bad effect on gills (until now I can not determine if all of these "pollutants" or even the amount of them). Some other factors seem to be the age of the animals (older axolotls often have smaller gills) and even genetics (differents strains/breeds).

Maybe someone else has an idea.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I never meant the gill size changes for axolotls. I was just making a point on how gills in caudates react to certin things. I should have made that more clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1