Slimy Salamander

SleestakSooner

Reaction score
Country
United States
My girlfriend and I went out before daybreak this morning to get some pics of the sunrise. As we were walking through a cow pasture she looked down and nearly stepped on this wayward herp.

img5910ns3.jpg
img5909nn6.jpg

I picked the salamander up and placed it on this post to get some pics of it and then we set it back down in the field and went on about our business.

From the data I found this may possibly be a Western Slimy Salamander - Plethodon albagula.

It was very sticky and had a gluey substance all over it like it had been slimed in Ghostbusters.

The thing about this find is according to the location maps I have found, this salamander was three counties to the west of their normal locale.

Nice find! I think the species is actually Ambystoma talpoideum, however.

Dang, I knew there were caudates in Oklahoma (I was out there for the 4th of July when all that flooding was happening). I guess it was just not my time to find them :(

You might want to check out Ambystoma texanum, the smallmouth salamander, as well. It ranges pretty far west. From the photo that would be my best guess, but it's hard to be sure from those pictures.
-Tim

I'd have to concur with Tim, A.texanum. I used to find them sporadically when I lived in Rogers County.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back